Skip to main content Skip to local navigation
Home » FAQ


You can only apply at a port of entry if you’re eligible.

For more information, please visit here.

If you are applying for an employer-specific work permit (e.g., you received an appointment with York University), you may be eligible to have your spouse and dependent children accompany you to Canada.

Your spouse or common-law partner may be able to apply for an open work permit, which allows them to work for any employer in Canada without the need of:

  • A job offer; or
  • A Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA)

You and your spouse/common-law partner can submit an application together. However, please be aware that the duration of your partner's work permit will match that of your own.

Information on bringing your family with you to Canada can be found here.

 In order to get a work permit for working in Canada, foreign workers  will need a positive or neutral Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) from Employment and Social Development Canada.

York university is responsible for submitting the LMIA application to Service Canada for a positive or neutral Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA).

Once a decision has been made, the LMIA assessment will be sent to the foreign worker with further instructions on how to obtain a work permit.

However, some appointments are exempt from an LMIA. If the appointment does not require an LMIA, an Offer of Employment (provided by the respective Dean's Office/hiring department) will be required.

For more information, please visit here.

Processing times varies.

Check work permit application processing times here.

NOTE: The processing time starts when you submit the application.

You must upload either a copy of your degree or a letter from your institution (PhD committee) confirming that you are nearing completion of your degree.

You must upload two screenshots combined of your "Offer of employment" number and your "Employer compliance fee" receipt. It is important to note that this section is actually mandatory, and failure to upload the document will prevent you from proceeding to the next step.

Yes- all of your supporting documents (including copies of your educational credentials) must be translated into English or French.

For more information, please visit here.

Most people can only enter Canada with either a visa or an Electronic Travel Authorization.

Please refer to the  list of Visa-required travellers for more information.

NOTE: If your work permit is approved and you are a national of a visa-required country, you will be asked to submit your passport(s) for a visa stamp. This means you do not have to submit a separate TRV application.

You will need a medical exam if at least one of these applies to you:

  • Want to come to Canada for more than 6 months, and;
  • Have  lived or travelled in one or more of these countries or territories for at least 6 consecutive months. 

Biometrics are currently required when foreign workers from certain countries apply to come to Canada as a visitor (tourist), student or worker.

Biometrics collection must take place at the same time as or after you apply and receive a biometric instruction letter.

For more information, please visit here

Information on York-University’s housing accommodations can be found here.

NOTE: On-campus housing is intended for short term (1-8 months).

As a member of the Canadian Association of University Business Officers (CAUBO), the University has contractual agreements with two preferred corporate international moving companies. As a new faculty or staff member you will qualify for York’s discounted rates under the CAUBO agreement.

For more information on these vendors, please visit the  CAUBO website or contact our office.

Information on relocation eligibility can be found here.

Normally, the actual move should occur within three months of your employment start date, and not later than six months after the start date.

Education is available to all children aged 6-18, living in Canada. Children are generally required to attend the school in the area/neighbourhood in which they reside.

Find a  school near you and learn about it, including information on the school board for specific registration information. Your child must be registered with the correct documentation (proof of immigration status, birth certificate or passport, proof of address and immunization records).

Information on Ontario’s school system can be found here.   

Information on brining animals to Canada can be found here

NOTE: Please continue to monitor this page- we will continue to make updates as we get more questions; if you don't see your question currently reflected here, please contact us.