University employees are invited to visit YU Link for additional Counsel-related information including frequently asked questions, legal services, fact sheets and presentations on a variety of topics.
GOALS: Advance University Academic Plan (UAP), Enhance Service, Reduce Cost and Risk
VISION: To proactively further the UAP priorities and reduce risk by providing timely, cost-effective, high quality and service-oriented legal and compliance services.
The Office of the Counsel provides advice and representation to the University on a variety of matters, including:
- student academic and non-academic discipline, petitions and appeals
- student professional behaviour reviews
- policies and procedures that protect the University from undue liability
- risk assessment and control
- human rights and accommodation issues
- complaints filed with the Ontario Human Rights Tribunal and other administrative tribunals
- representation of the University in Court in litigation matters
- compliance with various regulatory regimes (e.g. FIPPA, AODA, CASL, GDPR, copyright and trademarks)
- employment issues
- labour relations matters
- contracts and agreements of a wide variety of matters (academic, commercial, experiential learning, donor agreements and many others)
- research and intellectual property (IP) issues, commercialization of IP
- land, property and development projects, including financing
- the governance of the University as per the York University Act, 1965
The Office of the Counsel also provides seminars and other education-oriented initiatives on legal issues affecting the University.