University Information Technology (UIT) provides the essential infrastructure to assist members of York University in supporting their desktop computing environment. The principal goals are to provide a desktop environment that is reliable, secure and keeps pace with current technological trends.
Desktop services include both hardware and software support, such as the purchase, installation, testing and upgrading of hardware and software packages for both Windows and Macintosh platforms.
- York faculty and instructors
- Administrative staff
- The service covers only computer equipment (desktop, laptop, notebook, small mobile device, printer, scanner) that is university owned (not personal equipment).
- Vendors for Desktops and Notebooks include:
- Dell, Lenovo, HP, Apple.
- Best effort support for other branded hardware such as Toshiba, Sony, Acer.
- No support for clones or self-built PCs.
- Supported Printer and All-in-One devices:
- High volume printers such as Canon, HP, Xerox, Lexmark, Minolta.
- Desktop printers from Dell, Canon, HP, Xerox, Lexmark, Epson.
- Supported Mobile devices:
- Blackberry and Palm devices.
- Supported Operating Systems:
- Microsoft: Windows XP Professional with SP2, SP3.
- Apple: MacOS 10.5 Leopard.
- Support technician may opt to remotely access client’s computer to troubleshoot and resolve problem. Client approval is required for each remote control session. Mutual agreement on a service appointment shall be scheduled for each service request. Client may opt to observe remote session.
- Automatic updates to Operating System and Security software (Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware definitions updates, Anti-Spam, Network Security, Administrative Firewall.)
- Physical Desktop equipment security (cables, locks, consulting services with York University Security Services.)
- Account Management (creation, deletion, password reset, lock account reset, special access to shared space, time restrictions, access restrictions by location – IP address and/or MAC address).
- Software media and licenses are to be acquired by client prior to installation (unless already covered by Service Agreement).
- Packing and shipping materials and boxes are to be disposed of by client – as per University procedures and guidelines.
- Service hours are Monday to Friday from 8:30am – 4:30pm.
- High Priority (Tier-1) – 1 hour call back, 24 hour service appointment
- General Service (Tier-2) – 2 hour call back, 48 hour service appointment
- There are no charges associated with this service, except in the existence of Service Agreements with specific Faculties and Operational units.
- Please contact UIT Client Services at firstname.lastname@example.org or ext 55800 (416-736-5800)
How to get support
- Please contact UIT Client Services at email@example.com to report any issues
- For Procurement Services computer hardware pricing, click here
- For Courses offered by the Training and Development unit of the Department of Human Resources & Employee Relations, click here