Skip to main content Skip to local navigation
Home » Applying for a Co-op » International Students

International Students

Another great benefit of our Co-op Program is that international students are eligible to apply.

International Students interested in participating in the York Co-op Program are required to obtain a Co-op Work Permit from Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC). Once you have been accepted to participate in a Co-op Program, you will be provided you with an official letter of confirmation to accompany your Co-op Work Permit application to CIC.

  • Must I have a co-op job offer prior to applying for a Co-op Work Permit?
    No, as soon as you are registered in a Co-op Program you must apply for CIC’s Co-op Work Permit. Your letter from the Co-op Coordinator will be considered your “job offer letter”.
  • Can I use my Co-op Work Permit to apply for jobs outside of an approved York Co-op Program?
    No, the Co-op Program will be listed as your employer on your work permit; therefore, it will only authorize you to accept jobs affiliated with the Co-op Program you are enrolled in.
  • I have an Off-Campus Work Permit, can I use it for a Co-op position?
    No, students are required to obtain a Co-op Work Permit to participate in an approved York Co-op Program.

To learn about the Co-op Work Permit eligibility criteria, application process and to download the application form, visit Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC).

Immigration requirements for Co-op work permit

For international students interested in participating in a co-op or internship program at York University, it is important to be aware of the immigration requirements related to co-op work permit.

As specified by IRCC, international students may work as part of a co-op or internship program only if work is an essential part of an academic, professional or vocational training program offered by a Designated Learning Institution (such as York University). To be able to work, students will need a co-op work permit and a valid study permit.

If the students are eligible, an open work permit can be issued with York U listed as the employer. In the situations where several work periods are necessary throughout the program, the work permit can be issued for the same period as the study permit.

It is important that an international student applies for a co-op work permit as early as possible. Please note that you do not need a job offer to apply for co-op work permit.

For details about immigration requirements and process of co-op work permit application, please kindly contact York International for an in-person drop-in advising session during the advising hours.

York International Contact Information:
Tel: 416-736-5177
Address: 200 York Lanes