Hire from our Science Co-op Program
Access our talented student pool from the following Honours BSc programs:
We invite you to join us in providing our top students with an opportunity to integrate their classroom learning with hands-on, paid, work experience related to their field of study. You will meet potential future employees for four months in the summer after they have completed their first two years of study, and possibly again a year later when they can contribute to your organization for up to a year if you wish.
York University’s Co-op Program meets the following criteria as outlined by the Canadian Association for Cooperative Education (CAFCE):
- each co-op work situation is approved by York University as a suitable learning situation;
- the co-op student is engaged in productive work rather than merely observing;
- the co-op student receives remuneration for the work performed;
- the co-op student’s progress on the job is monitored by York University;
- the co-op student’s performance on the job is supervised and evaluated by the student’s co-operative employer;
- the time spent on co-op work terms will be at least thirty per cent of the time spent in academic study.
Why you should consider a York Co-op student
- Hire diverse talent: Benefit from having new perspectives in your organization. Different perspectives leads to innovation and creative problem solving, which adds the competitive advantage required to thrive in today’s rapidly changing environment.
- You'll meet top students! Students in the program must maintain a B+ average.
- They'll have completed two years of study in their major. Students complete two years of academic study that provides a solid base of theory and skills before embarking on their first work term.
- And you can meet them again for a longer period after another year of study. Further work terms, which may be longer than four months, occur after another year of academic study.
- Let our students bring innovative skills, fresh ideas and exposure to the latest practices to your work environment.
- Facilitated hiring process: The Co-op Coordinator is available to assist you each step of the way. We'll coordinate the hiring process for you from free online co-op job postings to interview scheduling and job offers.
- Reduced cost of employee recruitment: A co-op student is an investment in a potential future employee. The Co-op Program allows you to assess their knowledge, skills and abilities before a permanent position is offered.
- Financial Incentives: Your organization may be eligible for financial support through the Ontario Co-operative Education Tax Credit, a refundable tax credit equal to 25-30% of eligible expenditures (i.e. up to $3000 for each qualifying work period). Your organization may be eligible for a Co-operative Education Tax Credit (CETC) after a student has completed a minimum of 4 consecutive months in a co-op placement.
Ready to hire a co-op student?
Explore this website to learn more about hiring a co-op student, posting a co-op position, recruitment timelines and the student performance review process. We also welcome you to contact the Job Search and Recruitment Coordinator directly for further assistance.