You can create positive change.
The Sustainability Champions program is a voluntary network of York University community members (students, staff and faculty) who want to help transform York University into a more sustainable institution.
Why become a Sustainability Champion?
- Professional development
- Recognition and reward for your work on an administrative level
- Expertise from the Office of Sustainability and our affiliations on a consultative basis
- Experiential education opportunities
- Become a part of a network and community of like-minded individuals
Staff and Faculty
- Reduced use of resources
- Operational improvements
- Enhanced reputation and recognition
- Collaboration with the Office of Sustainability
Responsibilities of a Sustainability Champion
1. Participate in the Network
You will be part of a network of champions across the University and have the opportunity to collaborate on projects and to learn more about sustainability issues and skills together at workshops and events.
2. Promoting Sustainability
At the core of your role you will be promoting sustainability, encouraging effective resource use and leading by example and helping colleagues and new At the core of your role, you will be promoting sustainability, encouraging effective resource use and leading by example and helping colleagues and new staff, and utilizing the Sustainable Action Toolbox.
3. Distributing resources and information
Champions will distribute information from the Office of Sustainability which may include: emails, social media, posters, stickers, event information and WWF Living Planet Resources.
4. Reporting Progress
Champions will track and provide progress on initiatives within department/group.
Champions can bring forward ideas, questions, concerns or feedback on environmental issues from their department/group for how we can improve sustainability at York U.
- Enthusiastic about sustainability & the environment and willing to learn more about current global issues.
- Able to commit a certain about of time to the role
- Able and willing to attend workshops, training and events
- Staff should seek permission from your supervisor/manager
Take the first step by letting us know you're interested in becoming a Sustainability Champion!