Skip to main content Skip to local navigation


Can international students apply to a Co-op Program?

Yes, eligible international students can take part in the Co-op Program. The Recruitment and Job Search Coordinator and York International will assist you in obtaining a co-op work permit after you are officially enrolled in a Co-op Program. Please be aware that some government agencies will only accept co-op applications from Canadian citizens and Permanent Residents.

What if I'm not eligible for the Co-op Program?

York's Career Centre has a number of programs, services, events and resources to help you build skills and gain experience, including a free job posting board for students and new graduates that offers a range of full-time and part-time positions.

When should I apply to the Co-op Program?

If you were not admitted to a Co-op program when you first came to York, or if you lost standing in the program during your first year, generally you should apply by the end of your third term of study. i.e. you need to apply in time to complete COOP2000 2.0 and mandatory preparatory activities before the first work term. Students may not join the Co-op Program at later stages.

Is there a cost to participate in the Co-op Programs?

Yes, you will be responsible for the following fees while in the Co-op Program:

  • Co-op Program Enrollment Fee: $200
  • Co-op Work Term Course Fee: $475 for each 4 month co-op work term (COOP2001 0.0, COOP3001 0.0, COOP3002 0.0 and so on as you accumulate work terms.)

What can I do to increase my chances of finding a co-op position?

Don't rely solely on job postings from the Career Centre's online job posting system – take the initiative to conduct your own job search and be sure to take advantage of the co-op job search supports available through York's Co-op Program including: Drop-in Job Search Advising, Resumé Feedback Sessions and Interview Practice Sessions. Also, be sure to apply early, as many employers recruit their co-op students early in the term.

What if I can't find a co-op position?

Make an appointment with the Recruitment  & Job Search Coordinator to discuss job search strategies and participate in additional York Career Centre workshops and services to increase your job search effectiveness and discuss opportunities to outreach and network with employers.

Can I do an international co-op in another country?

Unfortunately, we do not have the resources available to support you in the immigration process to work outside of Canada as part of the Co-op Program at this time. You may wish to explore York International Global Internships.

Can I take courses while on co-op?

The co-op experience is an opportunity for you to focus entirely on experiential learning and laying the foundation for your future career. You are not permitted to take courses (other than the zero credit work term course).

What if I don't like my co-op position?

Once you accept an offer, you are making a commitment to an employer to complete the agreed co-op work term. Trying a position and then deciding to quit is not an option. However, the Recruitment and Job Search Coordinator will work with you and your employer if you have any issues or concerns with your work term.

What if I want to stay at my co-op position longer?

The length of co-op work terms are specified for your program. Generally the first is for a 4 month period, and this may not be extended, while the length of subsequent work terms is flexible. A lengthy work term of 8 months or more is often preferred for that subsequent work place experience. Co-op students must complete full-time study terms between work terms as specified by their program.

Does York University hire co-op students?

York University is committed to supporting experiential education. For more information about work-study related programs, please visit

Still have questions about the Co-op Program?

Please contact the Recruitment and Job Search Coordinator or drop into co-op student office hours.