How To Add Event
Creating new events is very straightforward. It is better to prepare the content of the event before attempting to create one. For example, preparing detailed description, venue, time and date, speakers, organizers, labels etc.
- Step 1: Hover on M.E. Calendar and click on Add Event.
- Step 2: Add title, fill up events details, select event category and add featured image if available
- Step 3: Publish
Important fields on event details
- Date And Time: set the date and time of your event
- Event Repeating: for recurring events if applicable
- Hourly Schedule: perfect for speaker series if applicable
- Organizer: choose event organizers
- Cost: if applicable
- Location/Venue: physical or virtual?
You are not allowed to add new parent-categories to the events calendar, but you can create sub-categories, organizers.
Setting up shortcodes
This is located in M.E. Calendar > Settings > Shortcodes. Kindly note that to maintain consistency across websites, you should use the full calendar and list view. This section is divided into two:
Section 1 - Display Options:
This section contains settings to select the look and feel of the calendar
- Step 1: Click Add Shortcode - This will initiate the shortcode wizard to walk you through the process
- Step 2: Add shortcode name
- Step 3: Select either List View or Full Calendar
- Step 4: If List view, select Minimal and if Full Calendar, select Clean style
- Step 5: Select "New Window" Single event Display Method
- Step 6: Select "Include expired events"
- Exit the wizard page once you get to the shortcode screen
Section 2 - Filter Options:
This section contains settings to filter events to show up. You can filter by Category, Locations, Organizers, Labels, Tags, etc.
To get to this section, you will need to:
- Step 1: Exit the shortcode wizard page
- Step 2: Refresh the shortcode list page to make your newly created shortcode visible
- Step 3: Hover on your shortcode and click edit
- Step 4: Scroll to the filter options to add your preferred settings
- Step 5: Update.
The Shortcode has been generated, the next step is to create an API code which would be used on your website to display the events calendar.
Note: For Full Calendar view, use the search form in Block Settings to enable extra search features such as "text search & search forms"
Creating shortcode API
This is located in M.E. Calendar > Settings > Shortcodes
On central events calendar website
- Step 1: hover on the shortcode you've created and click on create API
- Step 2: choose domain display preference -
- custom domains if you want to show events on a specific domain - you need to enter your URL
- All Domains if you want to show events on any domain the API is applied on.
- Step 3: click the generate button
On your website
- Step 1: add "Custom HTML" block
- Step 3: update/Publish the page