Our research is focused on the investigation of the cognitive and neural processes that mediate our ability to perceive the world around us and to interact with objects in our environment.
Vision is the most important sensory modality for humans. We use vision in almost every aspect of our lives, from the recognition of people and objects to reading and navigation (i.e., vision-for-perception). We also use vision to guide our interactions with objects and people in our environment (vision-for-action). The research in the lab aims to elucidate brain representations that support these different visual behaviours, the interplay between these functions and their developmental trajectories.
To this end, we utilize a range of approaches, including neuroimaging, neuropsychological investigations, developmental studies and motion-tracking technology.
- May 2022- Congratulations to Tasfia Ahsan and Zoha Ahmad for receiving the VISTA Ph.D. travel award
- May 2022 - New paper alert - Mitchnick, K. A., Ahmad, Z., Mitchnick, S. D., Ryan, J. D., Rosenbaum, R. S., & Freud, E. (2022). Damage to the human dentate gyrus impairs the perceptual discrimination of complex, novel objects. Neuropsychologia, 108238.
- Feb 2022 - New paper alert - Stajduhar, A., Ganel, T., Avidan, G., Rosenbaum, R. S., & Freud, E. (2022). Face masks disrupt holistic processing and face perception in school-age Children. Cognitive Research: Principles and Implications, 7(1), 1-10.
- Feb 2022 - New paper alert - Ahmad, Z., Behrmann, M., Patterson, C., & Freud, E. (2022). Unilateral Resection of Both Cortical Visual Pathways in a Pediatric Patient Alters Action but not Perception. Neuropsychologia.
- Feb 2022 - New paper alert - commentary: Freud E. & Ahsan T. Does the dorsal pathway derive intermediate shape-centred representations? (2022). Cognitive Neuropsychology, DOI: 10.1080/02643294.2022.2040974
- September 2021 - New paper alert - Perceived depth modulates perceptual resolution - Psychonomic Bulletin & Review (Ahsan et al.)
- June 2021 - Interview with Steven Paikin about the effect of masks on face perception (The Agenda, TVO)
- May 2021- Congratulations to Tasfia Ahsan and Zoha Ahmad for receiving the VISTA Ph.D. scholarship
- March 2021 - *** Post-Doctoral position *** - Please consider to apply !
- March 2021 - The National (CBC) coverage on our research on how children perceived masked faces
- March 2021 - Congratulation to Zoha Ahmad for winning the VSS travel award!
- Feb 2021 - The National (CBC) coverage on our research on the effect of masks on face perception
- December 2020 - A new paper alert - The COVID-19 pandemic masks the way people perceive faces - Scientific Reports (Freud et al.)