Skip to main content Skip to local navigation
Home » Graduate Housing - York Apartments » York Apartments FAQ

York Apartments FAQ

York Apartments have about 1,250 self-contained units available for students at York’s Keele Campus.

York Apartments offer a variety of both furnished and unfurnished apartment options including bachelor, one-bedroom and two-bedroom units (very limited and are often reserved for students coming with their spouse and children). There are also few adapted units.

A furnished unit comes standard with a bed, desk, chair, dresser, side tables, kitchen table and chairs. Students supply their own linens or may purchase linens through York University's external partner Residence Linens prior to arrival and they will be shipped to the Housing Office and ready for when you arrive.

Graduate and law students or students coming in with family (children/spouse) registered in full-time studies and in good financial/behavioural standing with the University are eligible to apply for York Apartments.

Applications are accepted throughout the year. Apply through your MyFile once you are admitted to a full-time degree at York. Students already in a lease cannot reapply to York Apartments for the future terms until one academic term after they move out.

Applications are processed according to the date of receipt. Spaces are often limited.

No, there is no application fee associated with applying for York Apartments Housing.

You can select up to two building/style preferences when applying. Housing staff will make every effort to accommodate your preference, but cannot make guarantees as assignments will depend on availability.

No, each apartment is leased to one resident only who will be responsible for the terms and conditions of the lease agreement including payment of rent.

Depending on apartment type, Housing & Conference Services can allow a maximum of 3 registered sharers in a unit. A sharer must be a qualified York University student (if a roommate) or children/spouse (if family members) registered by the lease holder through the Housing Office. Please check the Maximum Occupancy Allowed for each apartment type for more information.

On a typical year, a sublease may be allowed in the summer and residents are required to apply through Housing & Conference Services. To be approved, the subleassee must also be a qualified York University student (registered full-time and in good standing).

Due to current government restrictions, subleasing in the Summer continues to be suspended. Please contact should there be any questions and concerns. 

It depends on the apartment type, the cost ranges between $991 - $1,790 monthly. Please refer to our website for more detailed information about residence costs.

No, your rental rates include heat, hydro and water. Wireless internet is accessible through AirYork Plus.

Phone service subscription, cable TV, parking services and laundry are extra costs you will need to consider. Also, residents are urged to obtain a tenant insurance policy that covers loss of personal property and/or liability for personal and property damage.

Insurance may be available as an extension of the Resident family’s home insurance policy, or the Resident can obtain their own insurance package. York University will not be responsible for any loss or damage incurred to the Resident’s personal effects.

No, all the apartments are equipped with a kitchen, therefore a Meal Plan is not mandatory. However, you can purchase a Meal Plan through the YU-card Office, if you wish.

All kitchens come with a fridge and a stove/oven. You may bring in your own microwave, pots, pans, cooking utensils and cleaning supplies.

York has over 40 food service locations at the Keele Campus offering a wide variety of food types including salads, soup and sandwiches, full “home-style” dinners, fast food, international, halal and kosher food.

To ensure our residents health and safety, as of September 1, 2018, York Apartment premises (private units and common corridors and hallways) are designated as non-smoking buildings. Residents, members of the resident’s household, guest(s), business invitee(s), or visitor(s), shall not smoke anywhere within the building, including the unit rented by the resident, balconies and patios, enclosed common areas, as well as outside within 9 metres of doorways, operable windows, and air intakes.

*It is important to note that new residents may be moving in to apartment buildings with current residents that signed older lease agreements and that are grandfathered and may smoke in their private dwellings. However, should the smoke interfere with safety and enjoyment of other roommates/residents, they are encouraged to bring up their concerns to Housing & Conference Services and the matter will be followed-up on.

Possession, cooking, smoking, storing and cultivation of cannabis is prohibited in York Apartments. The smoke and pungent smell of cannabis can cause interference of other resident’s (including families with children) enjoyment. Rules and policies on cannabis smoking, possession and cultivation are available in Residence Community Standards and York Apartments Residents Handbook.

Residents are encouraged to contact Residence Life on all smoking and cannabis concerns they may have. Issues will be addressed with responsible residents in accordance to policies set in the York Apartments Tenancy Agreement and Residence Life Handbook.

York Apartments offer leases ending in August and may be renewed each year following. Residence buildings are managed in accordance with the Residential Tenancy Act. You are eligible to extend and stay in York Apartments as long as you are enrolled in a full-time degree program, you have no outstanding debts on your student account and you have no history of behaviour issues. Housing & Conference Services reserve the right to renew/terminate each lease in accordance with the above.

Move-ins are arranged for the 1st and 15th of each month throughout the year (pending availability) and excluding weekends and any statutory holidays.

A signed “Agreement to Terminate a Tenancy Form” (N11) must be submitted to the Housing Office at least 60 days before vacating the unit. The date of termination shall be on the last day of a rental period (last day of the month). For example, if you wish to move out in October and the required minimum of 60 Days’ Notice falls on October 22, your move-out date will be October 31.

Yes, as long as you have no outstanding debts on your student account, have no history of behavioural issues and will continue to enroll in a full-time degree program in the following Fall Term.

Absolutely! We have a full-time professional Community Life Coordinator who is available on site for assistance and community programming.

Yes, tours will be offered in some apartments between May and August. More details about tour dates and times will be posted on our website when they become available.

Note: Housing Services strives to ensure the completeness and accuracy of information contained on this website, however, we reserve the right to change any of the information at anytime without notice.