An Introduction to Foundations of Health Coaching:
Best Practice - Complexity Thinking and Relational
- A Health Coach Insitute program from the York University/University Health Network Nursing Academy
- A NEW approach to help your clients and families - for their health and quality of life
A program already in use in Acute Care - York Region!
"Coming from an acute care setting into the Health Coach role has been the best career choice I have made. I strongly recommend becoming a Health Coach; this is the direction of health care." Shauna Biernacki RN, BN, Health Coach, University Health Network
What is Relationship Centred Change?
Relationship Centered Change is an approach that focuses on change from the perspective of relationships and behaviour patterns. This approach can be especially useful when working with clients living with chronic illness, disability, and complex quality of life issues. Use this method to help your clients explore and make choices for their health. The Health Coach role shifts from focusing just on isolated individual change, to include change in relationships, and change in life patterns.
"Working in the Health Coach role for me was leaving my professional agenda at the door, creating a non-judgemental space for persons to share, explore, recognize or change their health patterns while remaining present and curious to their experiences." Shauna Biernacki RN, BN, Health Coach, University Health Network
"The Health Coach workshops enable you to reflect on your past professional experiences, teaches you to be present in relation with others and challenges you to change the future of healthcare delivery." Danica Rush, BScN, RN, Health Coach, The Dotsa Bitove Wellness Academy
Use this approach for:
- Complex situations and clients with chronic illness
- Clients who are struggling with change and day-to-day life
- Families who are caring for loved ones with complex health issues
Benefit to the care provider [and the client]
- A customized coaching approach for your clients that maximizes participation with persons who are struggling with complex health issues and situations
- An approach that focuses on health patterns, personal inquiry, and possibilities
- A long term, relationship-based commitment
- Listening strategies and skill in removing judgment from relationhips
" I would definitely recommend the Health Coach workshops to whoever is looking to make a positive change.” Behnam Adib, RN BScN, RN HealthCoach Team,Chronic Disease Program,Southlake Regional Health Centre
You will learn to:
- Develop a nontraditional process for enabling change in self and others
- Examine issues of meaning in personal health patterns
- Connect broader determinants of societal health with the personal health experiences of your clients
- Relate concepts of change and ethics across different contexts
- Attend to quality of life issues for persons living with chronic illness
- Enable processes of reflection, navigation, and value prioritizing
- Assist clients to identify assets and barriers for self-care and health, to increase their support network, and to increase their understanding of personal health priorities
- Integrate the arts in teaching-learning-reflecting activities
Who should attend this program
Designed for regulated health care and allied health professionals . This program will give you the skills and knowledge to work with persons who are trying to make changes in order to improve their health and quality of life. The health coach role is particularly helpful for professionals working with persons with chronic illnesses, including diabetes, heart disease, and disability.
These include but are not limited to:
- Paramedics (EMS)
- Social Workers
- Occupational Therapists
If you are unsure if you should attend, contact us
Technical Requirements: desktop or laptop computer connected to high speed internet access; a web browser;
To access the the on-line portion of this program, all registrants must have access to a computer and the internet and to download an application called Silverlight from Microsoft.
Certificate of Workshop CompletionYou will receive a certificate upon completion of this program. Participants must attend both workshop days, all online sessions, and pass any assessments to receive a certificate.
Health Coaching Publication from Dr Gail Mitchell Click Here
Primary Care Research - Health Coaching Study - Click Here
Find Out More About Health Coaching and the Connected Health and Wellness Project!
8 weeks blended learning:
- 2 full days in class –
- with 6 weeks online,
- self paced (50 hours)
Registration Fee Information
Price: $ 2000.00 plus applicable taxes for each individual.
Location for in-class dates: York University, Keele Campus, Toronto, ON
Please call: 416-736-2100 x22170 for more information about the program or Group Rates
Custom Program :
This program can be tailored to meet the needs of your organization and delivered on-demand and in-house. Savings can be significant. Contact us for more information
or to inquire about group rates or in-house programs
Nurses taking this program may
be eligible to receive reimbursement of up to $1500 from the Education Initiative offered through the RNAO. You do NOT have to be an RNAO member to apply for the funding.
Please visit the RNAO website, Education Funding, for more details www.rnao.org
Allied Health professionals taking this Workshop may be eligible to receive reimbursement of up to $1500 from the Allied Health Professional Development Fund offered through HealthForce Ontario. Please visit the HealthForce Ontario website for more details http://www.ahpdf.ca/