Welcome to the Department of Communication Studies, one of the most quickly growing departments at York University. Our approach to communication emphasizes the questioning and analysing of media and technology in their relationship to social and cultural practices and the circulation of ideas and values.
We offer an interdisciplinary program that seeks to create professionals and thinkers who can critically engage with the various dimensions of communication. Our faculty possesses diverse research interests that span an array of fields: policy, politics, international development, mass media, new media, gender and identity; and a curriculum that provides students with the theoretical and applied, as well as critical and analytical, skills necessary to engage with past and current complex communications phenomena and technologies.
News & Events
Communication Studies Waitlist for the F/W 2013/14 Academic Year: Due to the on-going demand, we have established a admissions queue for all Communication Studies courses. Please complete the attached link form and your request will be placed in priority queue.
Completion does not guarantee acceptance into our courses.
- COMN 4747 - Print & COMN 4150 - Experiential Research Methods at Work are currently on hold pending departmental resolution. In the interium, Communication Studies is maintaining a wait-list of students interested in participating in either of these two course should they be offered for the 2013/14 academic session. To sign-up for either of these two course, please complete the attached form to place you in priorty sequence.
- Course Number Changes: In our move to change the program, we have changed the course numbering scheme. The old/new course list is available in both of the minicalendars below. This list is valid for courses being taught this F//W 2013/2014.
The 2013/14 Minicalendars are now available. Since we have changed our regulations to take effect for those students entering or transferring into Communication Studies (as of summer 2012 and Fall 2012), we have published two separate mini-calendars: One for those students entering the program as of summer 2012; the other for students who entered between July 2009 to F/W 2011-12; if you are already a comn studies major, you have been grandfathered under the original regulations and we wanted to ensure that you understand that you will still be under the former regulations.
Please note that the dept. will no longer be providing hard-copy issues of the calendars, so you will need to download this version yourself.
If you seek advising help. please call 416-736-5057.
- Annual Student Awards Ceremony for Outstanding Achievement
- For Specialized Major Students
Please note that for 2010/11, 2011/12, and 2012/2013 although the calendar says you must take comn 4810 6.0, we are unable to offer this course, and you can substitute ANY category C course for this course.
- York Exchange Possibilities
Why not consier taking part of your degree at a university outside of Canada on a York Exchange? Please go to this site for details and if you're interested in attending an information session as posted there.