How to Get Involved
These are the current research opportunities available for participation within the School of Kinesiology and Health Science.
Investigating the effects of increased dairy consumption and its relationship with reduced inflammation and other biomarkers of chronic diseases .
In order to be eligible for participation, participants should have:
- Lower physical activity/exercise levels
- Low habitual dairy consumption (<1 serving/day)
- a body mass index (BMI) of >25 kg/m2 (in the overweight or obesity range)
- No lactose intolerance or dairy allergy
Not sure if you’re eligible? Fill out this survey (Drive Survey)!
Participants will be compensated up to $400 for participating.
- 30 hours over 16 weeks for the total commitment (2x6 week interventions, and a 1 month 'washout' period in between).
- Provision of dairy foods (3 servings per day; milk, yogurt and cheese) for one of the 6 week interventions.
- Screening visit (to assess eligibility) and 2 baseline testing sessions involving one blood draw, vascular ultrasound (to assess blood vessel function) and body composition assessment.
- Logging of food consumption several times throughout the intervention (using a smartphone app) monitored and guided by a registered dietitian .
- At the end of each 6 week intervention, there will be one high fat meal challenge (2 high fat meal challenges total). Body composition, vascular ultrasound, and blood samples taken at different timepoints throughout each high fat meal challenge day.
- *OPTIONAL: 2 Muscle biopsies to be completed on each high fat meal challenge day.
For any questions related to participation please contact us at DriveStudyYorku@gmail.com or 416-736-2100 x33990. Principal Investigator: Dr. Andrea Josse, Student investigator: Joel Prowting. Approved by the York University Office of Research Ethics (ORE) File# 221-177.
Explore the effects of cold-water immersion on post-exercise skeletal muscle recovery and performance following high intensity interval exercise performed in the ankle dorsiflexor muscles.
Eligibility for participation includes the following:
- Between 18 - 45 years of age.
- Trained (>1-hour of weekly exercise) or untrained (<1-hour of weekly exercise).
- Must agree to complete a standard medical questionnaire.
- Free from any of the following conditions: smoker or user of tobacco products, heart disease, rheumatoid arthritis, diabetes, poor lung function, uncontrolled high blood pressure (hypertension), or any other health condition that might put you at risk for this study.
Participation includes the following:
- Visit 1 (& 2 if needed): familiarization (NOTE: 2nd familiarization trial is only required if further habituation to the exercise test is needed).
- Visit 3: exercise + 3-hour post-exercise recovery assessment.
- Visit 4: post-exercise recovery assessment (exactly 24-hours following the initial bout of exercise) and performing a second bout of exercise.
- Visit 5: exercise + 3-hour post-exercise recovery assessment.
- Visit 6: post-exercise recovery assessment (exactly 24-hours following the initial bout of exercise) and performing a second bout of exercise.