Congratulations on your admission to York! We are excited to welcome you into the community and to our campus soon. Ahead of the start of the Winter semester, here is some important info you need to know:
- November 30, 2021: Canada expands list of accepted vaccines for travel to include Sinovac, Sinopharm (Beijing) and COVAXIN.
- December 6, 2021: Deadline to complete the International Student Location form.
- January 10, 2022: First day of classes for Winter Term
- January 15, 2022: All international students 18 years and older must be fully vaccinated with one of the COVID vaccines approved for travel in order to enter Canada.
We have put a few measures in place for the Winter Semester for enhanced protection of the health and safety of our community members.
For the Winter 2022 term, all York students are required to disclose their vaccination status on YU Screen. Disclosure of vaccination status includes unvaccinated, partially vaccinated, fully vaccinated or seeking an exemption from vaccination.
If you plan on accessing campus to take in-person classes, study, work, attend events, utilize student services, live on campus or other in-person services/events, provide your proof of vaccination on YU Screen as soon as you can.
If you have already disclosed your vaccination status and provided proof of vaccination, thank you. If you have not, please do so as soon as possible.
International students in regions where they are not able to access COVID vaccines prior to arriving in Canada for the Winter term will have a bridging period to get fully vaccinated after they finish their quarantine. York will continue to help facilitate vaccinations for international students arriving in Canada before January 15, 2022. Please see the information below for more details.
Visit the Better Together website for the latest communication and FAQs.
INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS ARRIVING IN CANADA FOR WINTER 2022
Canada recently announced that as of November 30, 2021, Canada will expand the list of COVID-19 vaccines that travellers can receive to be considered for exemption to quarantine for the purpose of travel to Canada. The list will include Sinopharm (Beijing), Sinovac and COVAXIN, matching the World Health Organization Emergency Use Listing.
In addition, as of January 15, 2022, all travellers entering Canada must be fully vaccinated with one of the accepted COVID vaccines listed above, including international students over the age of 18. After January 14, 2022, international students who are not fully vaccinated with an approved COVID-19 vaccine will be prohibited from entering Canada.
Here is what you need to know/do for your travel to Canada:
- Upload your vaccination status to YU Screen if you haven’t already. Indicate your current vaccination status even if you are not yet fully vaccinated. Please do this right away.
- Fill out the International Student Location form by December 6.
- Apply for your study permit as soon as possible.
- Book your travel to Canada. Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada has recently announced that international students may arrive earlier than 4 weeks prior to the start of courses. We recommend that you make travel arrangements so that you arrive in Canada with enough time to complete your mandatory 14-day quarantine period before the start of classes on January 10, 2022.
- Read about the York Quarantine program and fill out the Travel to Canada form with at least 4 weeks' notice or as soon as possible. York is providing quarantine accommodation for new international students who are not exempt from quarantine, free of charge. If you are eligible for exemption from quarantine, York will provide a backup quarantine plan for you.
- If you will be arriving in Canada not fully vaccinated with a Health Canada approved COVID vaccination, you will have a bridging period after you complete quarantine to get fully vaccinated. Visit YU Better Together FAQs for International Students for full details on your requirements and responsibilities during this bridging period.
For more information, please visit the YU Better Together FAQs for International Students. International students can reach out to York International at email@example.com for support.
York International will also be hosting a webinar for New International Students arriving for the Winter semester on December 6, 2021 at 8 a.m. EST. Please visit the YI Events Calendar for more info and to register.