Hourly rate: $25/hr plus 4% vacation
Average hours per week: 5-10 in the Fall, 10-15 in the Winter
Dates: November 1, 2023 – June 30, 2024
The Centre for Refugee Studies (CRS) is seeking a Program Administration Assistant for the 2023-24 academic year to support the annual CRS Summer Course. Please note that this will be an in person position, although some hybrid work will be available. The successful applicant should be located in and around the GTA area.
Administrative and logistical support for the CRS Summer Course of Refugee Issues:
Internationally recognized and acclaimed, the Summer Course on Refugee Issues offers postgraduate training in refugee issues for practitioners inside and outside government who work on some aspect of refugee protection or assistance. The course includes panel discussions, case studies, a simulation exercise, and lectures from experts in the field, both local and international. A York University Centre for Refugee Studies Certificate is awarded upon successful completion of the eight-day course. This year the course will focus on the intersections between forced migration and emerging technologies.
The Program Admin Assistant is responsible for overseeing administrative duties pertaining to planning and carrying out the course. As well, the assistant works with the Summer Course Directors to support course logistics, and to assist in supervising several student interns.
Description of Duties
- Provide direct supervision to course interns
- Liaise with course faculty once confirmed
- Organize course reading materials in consultation with faculty
- Oversee course promotion efforts and course website updates
- Maintain timely correspondence with applicants
- Assists in participant selection process and subsidy awards
- Oversee registration process
- Manage course budget (in collaboration with the CRS Coordinator)
- Arrange classrooms, AV requirements, catering, parking, course certificates
- Coordinate billets/accommodation information for participants and any needed accommodations for faculty
- Additional administration duties as required
Salary: Hours will vary. We expect an average of 5-10 hours/week during the Fall Semester, and up to 15 hours/week from January to June 2023. Hourly rate is $25/hr plus 4% vacation pay.
While hours may vary depending on the workload, the Admin Assistant should plan to work a full week prior to the Summer Course and be present during the entirety of the course itself (June 3 – 7, 2024).
- Strong communication skills, including verbal and written English skills, cross-cultural communication skills needed to work effectively in an international, intercultural, academic atmosphere. Advanced French language skills desirable.
- 1-3 years experience in providing administrative support to events, programs and/or other initiatives
- Knowledge of and/or experience in Refugee Studies
- Demonstrated ability to exercise judgment, take initiative and solve problems
- Strong interpersonal and teamwork skills.
- Excellent organizational, time management and multi-tasking skills
- Experience in using Excel, Zoom and other web-based communication technology
Please note this position is open to individuals eligible to work in Canada (Canadian Citizens, Permanent Residents, Convention Refugees and Protected Persons, Study Permits).
Please submit your cover letter and CV online: https://crs1.apps01.yorku.ca/machform/view.php?id=85177
Include a cover letter, a resume and university transcripts (transcripts only required if current student or graduated within past 5 years). Submission Deadline: October 31, 2023 at 10:00am, (EDT)