Home » Explore the World While You Study » Going on Exchange

Going on Exchange

Ready to explore the world? Get all the details to go study abroad for a semester or a year.

Exchange program overview

When is the best time to go on exchange? We recommend going on exchange in your third year.

I’ve decided to go on exchange in my third year. What are the next steps?

  1. Attend an information session at the beginning of your second year— stay tuned for exact dates, they are announced in the Glendon Student Newsletter. Contact exchange@glendon.yorku.ca for additional information or go by our Student International Mobility Office in YH C115.
  2. Apply to go on exchange by the deadline: December 23, 2022.
  3. In January-February, you will receive an update on your application status and your nomination is sent to your host university (February-October)
  4. Once you’ve been approved, you’ll immediately start preparing your paperwork for the exchange, which will include health, courses, housing, flight, visa, and more. Preparing to go on exchange is equivalent to taking a course in terms of workload.
  5. Departure for your exchange destination can take place either in August or January, depending on whether you are going for one year or one semester.

4 STEPS to apply to go on exchange

  • Be enrolled in an Honours or Specialized Honours (BA, iBA., BSc, iBSc, or B.Ed)
  • Have completed two years of university studies. If you wish to go on exchange in your second or fourth year, please contact us at exchange@glendon.yorku.ca and explain the reason for your request. Doing an exchange in your fourth year may delay your graduation.
  • Have a minimum cumulative grade point average of 6.0 (B) at the end of the academic year prior to the exchange program. Going on exchange is demanding. If you struggle with your current course load, think about whether this is the right choice for you or whether this can be the motivator you need.
  • Be proficient in the language of the host country (comprehension, reading, writing) if you intend to take disciplinary courses in a language you are still learning and if programs in English are not offered in your university of choice.
  • To find out which Glendon/York courses you will need to replace with equivalent courses while you study abroad, make an appointment with Academic Services for equivalency of general education and optional courses, and contact your program coordinator or department chair for courses in the Major or Minor.
  • Choose your top three universities. Visit the website of your preferred host university and research the program courses you will be taking while on exchange. Make sure that the courses offered allow you to fulfill your degree requirements after your exchange.
    • IMPORTANT: If you intend to pursue graduate studies, know that the grades from your host university will not be translated into the Canadian grading system and will not be included in your GPA. Your Canadian transcript will only show the mention “Fail” or “Pass” for each course taken abroad.
    • Learn more about European credit equivalencies and the European Credit Transfer System here.
  • Once you’ve decided on your top university, develop your study plan.
  • Decide if you will apply through Glendon or York International or both. If you choose to apply through both Glendon and York, you’ll need to submit two applications. However, your language evaluation and reference letter should only be sent to the office (Glendon or York) administering the exchange with your first choice.

Study Plan

A. Justification Of Your Choice Of Universities

List the universities of your choice in the order of preference. Please provide a rationale for your first choice.

B. Your Study Plan

Provide a list of courses that you need to take to fulfill your degree requirements at York University, and that you intend to replace with courses at your host university.

To avoid having to study longer once you are back in Canada, you must carefully choose courses that are offered at the university of your choice and how they fit into your Glendon degree.

If you are selected for the exchange program, you will need to complete a course requirement form with your department at Glendon, where your study proposal will be officially approved.

Name of Courses in Glendon ProgramCourses Major/MinorGeneral Education
Item 01 Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet.
Item 02 Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet.
Item 03 Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet.
Item 04 Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet.
Item 05 Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet.
  • Request your unofficial academic transcript from the Registrar’s office of York University
  • If the language of instruction at the university of your choice is not your first language and you plan to take disciplinary courses in that non-native language, you need to demonstrate language proficiency by sending the language evaluation form to an evaluator (it can be one of your program professors or language instructors), or indicate which disciplinary courses you have already completed in that language from your transcript.
  • Provide a copy of the first page of your passport with photo in PDF format
  • Verify that your passport is valid until at least 6 months after the end of your exchange
    • If you realize that your passport is no longer valid or not valid long enough for the duration of the exchange program, provide the current passport copy and indicate that you are in the process of applying for a new passport
    • IMPORTANT: current processing time are longer than usual. Make sure to check Immigration Canada for updates on timelines or potential delays
  • Write your CV (maximum 2 pages). If you need help, contact the Glendon Career Centre for CV-writing support.
  • Develop a budget – check out the “Living abroad” section for an idea of costs for rent, food, utilities and transportation in the city of your choice. Use this budget template to help you estimate the cost of an exchange. Note that you will pay the Glendon tuition for the semester or the year that you are abroad.
  • Request a letter of reference from two of your professors. In addition to this letter of reference form, email each professor your CV and your study plan, indicate the exchange program submission deadline in your email, and ask them to send the letter of reference to exchange@glendon.yorku.ca.
  • Make sure you have all your documents:

Troubleshooting the form

  • The Application Date and Date Received can be the same (see below).

  • Two fields are requesting documents that you cannot upload (the language evaluation and the reference letter), as these are sent to the exchange program directly by your professors and evaluators. Instead, upload an empty Word document (see below).

Partner universities and how to look for courses

In the chart below, you’ll find the list of Glendon partner universities and their websites. Visit their sites to get familiar with the institutions that interest you, student life in the area, activities to do in the city, and everything else you want to learn about your dream destination!

Ensure that the institution you choose offers third year courses that are applicable to the major you are taking at Glendon.

Partner SchoolsSchool WebsiteSchool Programs Page
SCIENCES PO PARIShttps://www.sciencespo.fr/
SCIENCES PO RENNEShttps://www.sciencespo-rennes.fr/en/
SCIENCES PO REIMShttps://www.sciencespo.fr/college/fr/campus/reims.html
SCIENCES PO LILLEhttp://www.sciencespo-lille.eu/
SCIENCES PO BORDEAUXhttps://www.sciencespobordeaux.fr/fr/index.html
SCIENCES PO STRASBOURG, UNI. ROBERT SCHUMANhttp://www.sciencespo-strasbourg.fr/
SCIENCES PO SAINT-GERMAIN-EN-LAYEhttps://www.sciencespo-saintgermainenlaye.fr/
EMYLON BUSINESS SCHOOLhttps://em-lyon.com/
UNIVERSITÉ DE ROUENhttps://www.univ-rouen.fr/
SORBONNE UNIVERSITÉhttps://www.sorbonne-universite.fr/
UNIVERSITY COTE D'AZURhttps://univ-cotedazur.fr/
MICEFAhttps://micefa.org/ – note that this is a consortium of multiple universities
UNIVERSITÉ LIBRE DE BRUXELLES (translation program only)https://ltc.ulb.be/nos-departements-d-enseignement/ecole-de-traduction-et-interpretation-isti-cooremans-1
UNIVERSITÉ DE LIÈGEhttps://www.uliege.be/cms/c_8699436/en/uliege
UNIVERSITÉ DE GENÈVE (translation program only)https://www.unige.ch/
UNIVERSITÉ DE LAUSANNEhttps://www.unil.ch/index.html
UNIVERSITÉ LAVALhttps://www.ulaval.ca/
UNIVERSITÉ DE MONTRÉALhttps://www.umontreal.ca/
UDLAP MEXICOhttps://www.udlap.mx/web/
EL COLLEGIO DE MEXICOhttps://www.colmex.mx/
An exterior shot of Glendon Campus.

Selection of candidates

Once you’ve submitted your application, a Glendon committee reviews all applications submitted and sends its recommendation to the candidate’s top university choice. Candidates are selected based on:

  • Academic record
  • Proficiency in the language of the host country
  • Personal motivation
  • Ability to adapt to a new environment

You will be informed of the committee’s decision in January, via email.

Once the Glendon committee has sent its recommendation to the university abroad, it is up to that university to confirm your admission via email and to send you information on how to enrol in courses.

Admitted? Congratulations! Here’s what’s next.

Submit the list of courses you intend to take to the Chair or Coordinator of the department of your major at Glendon. This is to ensure that the courses you selected satisfy the requirements for your degree and that you will receive credits for them at your return.

Once your list of courses is approved, register for the specific courses you need, following your host university’s procedure. Make sure you are aware of their deadlines!

To receive 30 credits from Glendon College, you must complete the equivalent of 60 ECTS (European Credit Transfer System) at the host university in Europe.

For exchanges in Quebec, the Canadian credit system applies.

IMPORTANT: In Québec, there are courses for “étudiants anglophones” and in France, there is the “Institut des étudiants étrangers”. Glendon does not recognize these courses. You must take the same courses as native speakers.

Students on Glendon Campus.

Students on Glendon Campus.

Travel Safety

Make sure you stay safe while traveling. Consult our Funding, Living abroad and Insurance & Healthcare sections for important travel, lodging and safety information as you prepare for your adventure away.


No credit will be granted for a failed course.

It is important to keep track of all your official documents while on exchange. Upon your return, you will have to submit the following to Academic Services:

  • Your official transcript from the host university
  • All relevant course descriptions, course outlines, reading lists and other related handouts, as well as any completed tests, assignments and exams
Students on Glendon Campus.