WordPress is a content management system that is used for creating York U websites. With WordPress you can publish and maintain a website using a web browser, with no or little knowledge of coding or programming.
UIT manages a central installation of WordPress with features including:
- Default York U and Faculty themes, including a set of content display modules
- A set of approved third-party plugins to add functionality to your website
- A www.yorku.ca/ url for your website
If you have additional requirements that can’t be met with the central WordPress service, a shared server service (apps01) is available where clients can install their own WordPress instance, theme, plugins, etc. However, UIT provides no support and all site maintenance and updates are the responsibility of the site owner.
Websites that require password protection (i.e. Passport York) and are for internal use (i.e. faculty and staff) can be created on YU Link, York’s employee intranet.
For faculty members who would like a web presence for their class(es), see the Getting Started with eClass website
Who can get it?
This service is available to York Faculties, faculty members, research units, and administrative and academic units.
How do I get it?
- Request a WordPress website (Note: Requests are subject to approval, and technical support and resources are based on the Faculty or corresponding department providing the support)
- To request an apps01 account, contact email@example.com
- To request a YU Link site, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
How do I get help?
- For more information on building a York U website using WordPress, see the Digital Experience Hub website