Skip to main content Skip to local navigation
Home » Faculty & Staff Services » Your York Computer » File Access Service (FAS)

File Access Service (FAS)

File Access Service (FAS) is a file share service for students, faculty and staff at York University. A Passport York account is required to authenticate and access a FAS share.

FAS has dedicated storage allocation to accommodate various academic and administrative purposes such as:

  • Share course materials with students
  • Share confidential files internally within same department
  • Share confidential files externally across departments
  • Data repository for academic research
  • Data repository for sensitive clinical and patient information, compliant to PHIPA

The service runs on premise, in York University datacenters which are secure, highly availability, reliable and resilient.

Service Costs

A storage service fee applies, at the rate of $0.105 per GB, per month
For example, 50 GB of FAS storage allocation= $5.25 per month or $63.00 per year

Minimum FAS storage allocation: 50 GB
Minimum FAS storage increase/decrease increments: 10 GB


Authentication to the service requires a Passport York account

Access control

Access to the FAS share are granted with the following privileges:

  • Read access
  • OR

  • Modify/Write access

If there are further requirements to structure and enforce folder access controls within the FAS share, additional consultation will be arranged

Supported client operating systems:

Mac OS 10.15 and later
Microsoft Windows 10 1909 and later

How do I get it?

Please submit a request by completing the request form on: > Information Technology > I am an Employee > Service Request Forms > Central Storage Request


How do I access FAS remotely, off campus?

How do I recover an older copy of a folder or file?
You can personally recover an old copy of a folder or a file up to 30 days old.

Please see instructions located at

How do I get help?

  • Contact your Faculty administrative office or Client Solutions manager for a personal consultation
  • Contact the Service Desk at