Call for the HTI Seed Fund
The Harriet Tubman Institute for Research on Africa and its Diasporas (HTI) invites applications from HTI members at York University for the HTI Seed Grant. Faculty (full and part-time) and graduate students who are HTI members by the application deadline are eligible to apply. Applications are due Monday, 17 January 2022. Applications will be accepted in English or French. The HTI Seed Grant is made possible thanks to the generous support of Indigenous, Black, and EDI scholarship at York University.
The HTI Seed Grant was created to support the scholarly work and research of the HTI members that is related to Black people on the continent and in the Diaspora, including in Canada. Funded projects and initiatives will fit within HTI’s research agenda.
The HTI is now accepting applications for the following activities:
- Research projects (standalone or part of a broader research program) directed by York faculty members
- Community engagement initiatives
- Knowledge mobilization initiatives
- Graduate student field research (both domestic and international students registered at York are eligible)
The number of funded applications will depend on submissions and will be judged in part based on the accuracy of the budget submitted with the application. Applicants can request up to $5,000; exceptional applications may receive additional funding. Expenses should be appropriate to the proposal and only direct project costs are eligible. In reviewing budgets, the adjudication committee will defer York University’s guidelines for fund 400 expenses. Applicants who are applying to complete ongoing research that is currently funded are required to show proposed or requested or confirmed cash or in-kind support from other sources for their application to be considered.
The deadline for applications is Monday, 17 January 2022. Recipients will be notified before 01 March 2022.
Please also note:
- The funding is available for a 24-month period and recipients are expected to complete funded activities by 31 March 2024.
- Applicants will be subject to all human ethics requirements: https://www.yorku.ca/research/research-ethics/. Please include planning for ethics approval into your timeline where applicable.
- Each recipient will be required to provide HTI with a one-page report on activities, scholarly and community outputs, and plans future research by 15 April 2023.
- An HTI sub-committee will adjudicate applications.
The application form and more information is available here. Please direct questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.