Information Security Notice: “Job Opportunity” Phishing
A large number of phishing messages were sent to York email accounts, part of a known scam advertising a fake “job opportunity”. The messages are fraudulent and intended to trick recipients into providing personal information, including personal (non-York) email address, and cellphone number. At that point additional correspondence to gather more personal information would follow, including bank account or other financial information, potentially account names and passwords, and can ultimately include financial transfers to steal from those corresponding and providing information to the scammers.
Information Security has taken action to remove these fraudulent messages and help protect York accounts from this scam, however if you see similar messages please be advised to:
- *** DO NOT REPLY TO THE MESSAGE ***
- Use the “REPORT PHISHING” button in Outlook or Gmail to report the message. This will also delete the message.
If you replied to the message, please:
- *** DO NOT REPLY TO ANY FURTHER MESSAGES RELATED TO THE SCAM ***
- If you provided any account names or passwords, immediately change any such passwords, and notify firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Use the REPORT PHISHING button to report any additional messages related to the scam.
Please contact email@example.com if you have any questions regarding this or related scams/phishing.
Report Phishing button:
For general guidance to help protect yourself from phishing and other cyber threats, please see: https://infosec.yorku.ca/cybersecurityawareness/