Researchers in York University’s Faculty of Liberal Arts & Professional Studies (LA&PS) have received more than $2.3 million in funding from the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada (SSHRC).
A total of 20 projects led by LA&PS faculty were announced as recipients of the 2020 Insight Grants (19 awards valued at a combined $2,145,491) and 2020 Partnership Development Grants (one award valued at $199,951).
The Insight Grants support long-term research initiatives for two to five years, while the Partnership Development Grant will support a one- to three-year project organized through formal collaborations with public, private and not-for-profit organizations.
“LA&PS researchers are contributing crucial knowledge across the many disciplines of social science and humanities,” said LA&PS Associate Dean of Research and Graduate Studies, Ravi de Costa. “SSHRC Insight Grants enable leading experts to undertake original and innovative kinds of inquiry, and our colleagues’ success in this program is a testament to the strength and depth of research going on in the Faculty.”
LA&PS researchers are investigating important topics, including social implications resulting from the COVID-19 pandemic, connections between language and community in Canada, overlooked demographics in social policies and more.
“LA&PS is steadfast in its commitment to research excellence and to building on this excellence going forward. Across the Faculty, our instructors are at the forefront of their respective fields – enriching our understanding of the humanities, social sciences and professional studies in meaningful ways,” said LA&PS Dean J.J. McMurtry. “Grant funding from SSHRC will help us continue to accomplish this goal. I’m excited to congratulate this year’s recipients.”
LA&PS 2020 Insight Grant recipients (principal investigators):
- Lalaie Ameeriar, Department of Anthropology;
- Amelie Barras, Department of Social Science;
- Antoine Djogbenou, Department of Economics;
- Alan Durston, Department of History;
- Jonathan Edmondson, Department of History;
- Ratiba Hadj-Moussa, Department of Sociology;
- Eva Haque, Department of Languages, Literatures & Linguistics;
- Mark Hayward, Department of Communication & Media Studies;
- Michael Herren, Department of Humanities;
- Eva Karpinski, School of Gender, Sexuality & Women’s Studies;
- Ruth King, Department of Languages, Literatures & Linguistics;
- Maria Liegghio, School of Social Work;
- Carmela Murdocca, Department of Sociology;
- Andrea O’Reilly, School of Gender, Sexuality & Women’s Studies;
- Selcuk Ozyurt, Department of Economics;
- Carolyn Podruchny, Department of History;
- Andrey Stoyanov, Department of Economics;
- Leah Vosko, Department of Politics; and
- Xueqing Xu, Department of Languages, Literatures & Linguistics.
LA&PS 2020 Partnership Development Grant recipient (principal investigator):
- Marcello Musto, Department of Sociology.