Empowered by a welcoming and diverse community with a uniquely global perspective, the Big Thinking Lecture Series brings together today’s leading experts to tackle big ideas and ask big questions.
Established by York University’s Organized Research Units, the lecture series consists of various talks and artistic events held throughout the calendar year.
Speakers will present research and creative works that span their respective fields, which include muscle health, Indigenous knowledges and languages, youth and aging, Canadian Studies, technoscience and society, feminist activism, and Jewish social and political thought, and more.
“This bold new series will showcase the depth and breadth of research excellence generated by York’s Organized Research Units and their commitment to fostering critical thought and dialogue on today’s global challenges. The Big Thinking Lecture Series builds on York’s proud tradition of interdisciplinary scholarship and participatory research. I applaud the ORU directors for bringing this series forward.”Amir Asif, Vice-President Research & Innovation
What are Organized Research Units (ORUs)
Organized Research Units are centres of research excellence at York University. ORUs bring together experts from across all Faculties to conduct interdisciplinary and collaborative research on critical issues.
The series is supported by the following ORU Directors:
- Danielle Robinson, Director of the Centre for Research on Latin America and the Caribbean (CERLAC)
- Elaine Coburn, Director of the Centre for Feminist Research
- Sean Hillier, Co-Director of the Centre for Indigenous Knowledges and Languages (CIKL)
- Kalman Wiser, Director, Centre for Jewish Studies
- Adrian Smith, Director of the Global Labour Research Centre
- Omosalewa O. Olawoye, Director of the Harriet Tubman Institute
- Natalie Coulter, Director of the Institute for Research on Digital Literacies (IRDL)
- Kean Birch, Director of the Institute for Technoscience and Society
- Rebecca Bassett-Gunter, Director of the LaMarsh Centre for Child and Youth Research
- David Hood, Director of the Muscle Health Research Centre
- Sylvie Morin, Director of One WATER
- Jean Michel Montsion, Director of the Robarts Centre for Canadian Studies
- Laura Levin, Director of the Sensorium
- Shubhra Gururani, Director of the York Centre for Asian Research (YCAR)
- Tamara Daly, Director of the York University Centre for Aging Research (YU-CARE)