Published on September 16, 2022
Overview and Job Purpose
The Dahdaleh Institute is seeking a full-time administrative assistant to join our dynamic research community. The administrative assistant will support office administration, communications, events programming, and financial administration at the Dahdaleh Institute. They will work with the director, coordinator, and other Institute staff to develop and manage an ongoing seminar series and other Institute events, prepare and disseminate Institute communications, and ensure the smooth operation and accurate record-keeping of all Institute activities. The successful candidate will have administrative experience in an academic research environment, excellent organizational and communication skills, and proficiency with a range of software applications.
The administrative assistant will primarily work in person at the Dahdaleh Institute office (York University, Toronto). This is a full-time position, 35 hours per week, for up to one year, starting immediately. Salary range: $45,500 to $58,500, depending on experience and qualifications, plus a comprehensive benefits package.
We welcome applications from all qualified individuals, including but not limited to women, persons with disabilities, visible minorities (racialized), Indigenous Peoples and persons of any gender identity and sexual orientation. York University is committed to a positive, supportive, and inclusive environment.
General Office Administration (30%)
- Provides efficient and effective client service support by responding to general enquiries (in person, by telephone, and by email) from internal and external stakeholders
- Coordinates space and workstations, including scheduling and booking meeting rooms in a shared calendar
- Provides administrative support to research projects and Institute programs and activities by drafting documents, keeping records on MS Teams and OneDrive; uploading and updating records on Airtable database, and procuring and maintaining inventory of office supplies
- Assists with developing and updating standard operating manuals for Institute processes
- Attends and takes minutes during staff meetings
Event and Communications Support (30%)
- Manages all aspects of event planning, promotion, and logistics
- Acts as a resource for Institute members and affiliates for event ideas, location selection, vendor selection, audiovisual tools, etc.
- Maintains and updates the Institute’s calendar
- Produces event materials such as signage, name tags, place cards, programs, and menus
- Provides event support (tech checks, Zoom maintenance, invitations/follow-ups, room setup, etc.)
- Creates and disseminates communication materials, including press releases, flyers, posters, leaflets, brochures, event notifications, and invitations
- Manages the Institute’s social media accounts (Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn), drafts messages for engagement
- Collects and distributes information about Institute members
- Creates, edits, and distributes the Institute’s newsletters
- Coordinates the publication of Institute activities by collaborating with researchers and staff to write, edit, and submit articles for promotion in York’s journal of record, YFile
- Ensures all written work follows the Dahdaleh Institute Style Guide and is reviewed and edited
Financial Administration Support (30%)
- Completes all finance- and expense-related paperwork for the Institute and its affiliates, including but not limited to timesheets, payment requisitions, purchase requisitions, accountable advances, processing of invoices, preparing and submitting journals, purchase orders, claims for reimbursement, etc., for review by the finance officer prior to submission to the Institute director for approval
- Prepares monthly reconciliation of operating and endowment funds
- Maintains back-up documentation for all transactions for operating and endowment funds
- Provides information and assistance to Institute affiliates related to the completion of forms
- Follows up with various departments as required (e.g., missing information, incorrect charges) and resolves any discrepancies
- Brings unresolved issues to the attention of the finance officer
- Investigates proper policies and procedures upon request
- Tracks balances, commitments, and status of select grants
- Assists finance officer with preparation of draft financial reports and budgets
- Prepares payroll submissions for review and brings any concerns and discrepancies to the attention of the finance officer and Institute coordinator
Executive Support (10%)
- Provides administrative and special projects support to the Institute director and associate director as requested
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively in a team setting
- Able to work on-site at the Dahdaleh Institute
- University undergraduate degree
- Minimum 1-2 years administrative experience in an academic research environment
- Excellent written and oral communications skills
- Strong financial administration skills
- Strong organizational skills and excellent ability to manage time and multiple priorities
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Experience updating and maintaining websites and social media platforms
- Experience with Hubspot or similar customer relationship software (strong asset)
- Experience with Canva or Adobe Creative Cloud (strong asset)
Ongoing. Initial application review begins on October 3, 2022.
How to Apply
Submit your application package via the form below. Your résumé should clearly reflect how you meet the posted qualifications. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
If you have any questions, please email email@example.com
|Global Health & Humanitarianism, Global Health Foresighting, Planetary Health|
You may also be interested in...
Update – Announcing the Planetary Health Advocacy "Living" ToolAs part of Carol Devine's work as Community Scholar at the Dahdaleh Institute for Global Health Research, she worked with Dahdaleh Research Assistant Yasmin Al-Sahili on a Planetary Health Advocacy literature review and created this ...
Read more about this Post
York University Leads Water Sustainability Event Featuring Panel of Renowned ExpertsThe UN Global Water Academy was announced in March 2023 at the UN Water Conference in New York City. It is a multi-stakeholder collaboration between the United Nations, academic institutions, private sector partners, and with ...
Read more about this Post
Join Us This September for Our Global Health Research Seminar SeriesWe are kicking off the 2022-23 academic year at the Dahdaleh Institute with some wonderful global health research talks this September: disaster management, humanitarian response, occupational health, and planetary health. All events will be delivered in ...
Read more about this Post