Student Opportunity: Design in Global Health Research Assistant
Job ID: 27562
Application Deadline: Sunday, April 18, 2021 @11:59pm
Eligibility Criteria: sfs.yorku.ca/work-study-programs/how-to-apply-for-ray-positions
Applications are only accepted through the Career Centre. Go to careers.yorku.ca/online-system/ and search for the posting with the Job ID (listed above).
Hourly Wage: $16.25 per hour
Weekly Hours: 13 hours per week
Start Date: May 10, 2021
End Date: August 27, 2021
Under the supervision of Dr. James Orbinski , the Design in Global Health RAY student will:
- Design appropriate tools, methods, and communication outputs for planetary health and environmental research at the Dahdaleh Institute including visualizations and infographics
- Build an engaged network of design experts, and conduct outreach at York University around design and global health
- Developing and operationalizing a transdisciplinary design strategy for the themes of the Dahdaleh Institute as assigned
- Support the “Modelling the Health Impacts of Climate Change in Malawi” project
- Attend and actively participate in a weekly transdisciplinary seminar series on planetary health and environmental research
- Provide events support including administrative and logistical support
Specific research activities the student(s) will be engaged in:
- Create a digital research archive of resources that are organized in such a way that is user friendly;
- Create a series of draft PowerPoint presentations that capture the core conceptual content.
- Explore ways in which the research programs at the Dahdaleh Institute could be improved upon through analyzing user statistical data;
Type of research experience the student(s) will receive:
- Critical thinking
- Conducting literature review
- Preparing presentations and written outputs of research
Type of training and support that will be provided to the student(s) in carrying out these research activities:
- Methodological training on data analysis and conducting literature reviews
- Subject matter training on global health and design
- Regular status meetings with your supervising full-time faculty
- Current undergraduate York student (we encourage applicants from diverse programs of study). The Dahdaleh Institute is committed to a positive, supportive, and inclusive environment. Applications from all qualified individuals are welcome, including, but not limited to women, persons with disabilities, visible minorities (racialized), Indigenous Peoples and persons of any gender identity and sexual orientation.
- Demonstrated interest in global health
- Demonstrated skills, experience, and familiarity with conducting literature reviews
- Experience working with people from a variety of backgrounds/cultures
- Excellent communication skills: professional email/phone correspondence, public speaking, and presentation proficiency
- Excellent computer skills (word processing, email, database management, spreadsheets)
- Demonstrates an eagerness to learn and take on initiative
- Demonstrates organizational and time management skills
- Ability and willingness to work both independently and as part of a team with researchers, students, and staff
List of applications materials:
- Cover Letter
You may also be interested in...
Global Governance of Medicine Quality
Substandard & falsified medical products pose a threat to patient & population health and undermines the success of the Sustainable...
Read more about this Project
Sustainable and Inclusive Internationalization: Reimagining Approaches in Higher Education in an Era of Global Uncertainties
20 January 2021 - 22 January 2021 York University is hosting the Sustainable and Inclusive Internationalization Virtual Conference, co-organized by...
Read more about this Event
Bruce Mau: Design principles for critical problem-solving in global health
On 20 October 2020, Bruce Mau discussed the role of design in global health in conversation with James Orbinski, Sarah...
Read more about this resource