The College of Nurses of Ontario publishes the Entry Level Competencies-RN practice required to enter the nursing profession in Ontario. Courses in our Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BScN) programs are designed to lead to eligibility for professional registration as a registered nurse (RN) in Ontario and the learning needed to satisfy the Entry Level Competencies.
Requirements to become a registered nurse in Ontario.
The Registered Nurse designation is regulated in Ontario and assigned by the College of Nurses of Ontario (CNO). For nursing students at York University, to qualify to become a Registered Nurse, each candidate must:
1. Successfully complete one of four BScN programs offered by the School of Nursing.
2. Pass the Next Generation NCLEX-RN exam upon graduation.
3. Meet the College of Nurses of Ontario's Requisite Skills and Abilities Requirements.
The above requirements are expanded below.
1. The courses in each of the undergraduate nursing programs include activities to support student learning reflective of the CNO Entry to Practice Competencies
The School of Nursing’s Mission, Vision, and Values reflect the tenets of diversity, equity, and inclusion. As each program includes active clinical practice, and this involves nursing students working with, and providing care to, diverse populations across the lifespan, diverse genders, sexual identities, socioeconomic standing, cultures and religious orders.
2. To practice nursing in Canada, all graduates of a BScN program must complete and pass a registration exam, the NCLEX-RN. To qualify for the registration exam, graduates must provide proof of Canadian Citizenship, permanent resident status, or authorization under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (Canada) to practice nursing.
For more details, please visit the CNO website.
3. The College of Nurses of Ontario requires essential skills and abilities. These include cognitive, communicative, behavioural, psychomotor, sensory, and environmental capacities, which are essential for professional practice. They can be found on the College of Nurses website under Requisite Skills and Abilities for Nursing Practice in Ontario [PDF].
For more information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit our website at https://www.yorku.ca/health/nursing/