The Interfaith Council (IFC) consists of representatives from all of the religious groups on campus. The IFC is charged with running the Scott Religious Centre and advises the University, through the Director of the Centre for Student Community & Leadership Development, on matters relating to the Centre and religious affairs and activities on campus.
Three Pillars of Tolerance
The Interfaith Council is supported by three pillars of tolerance. These are:
- Rules - All organizations must adhere to University policies and procedures and applicable federal, provincial and municipal laws and regulations.
- Recruitment - Any recruitment of members must be done in a non-coercive and non-aggressive fashion.
- Respect - While holding onto their beliefs, groups and clubs must show respect for all others who may have differing opinions.
Scott Religious Centre
Donated by the Scott family, the Religious Centre provides a comfortable chapel for religious services and a peaceful meditation room for individual introspection and quiet prayer. It also provides office space for many of the faith-based student clubs.
The Centre is a place where community members from diverse religious and spiritual backgrounds can practice their own faith and actively participate in interfaith dialogue and education.
In order to achieve these ends, the Scott Religious Centre operates according to the following principles:
- The Centre is a shared space and community members are expected to use the venue in the spirit of tolerance and cooperation.
- The Centre is open for all students, professors and staff of any faith or religious background.
- The Centre is to be used for worship, prayer, meditation and events relating to and sponsored by the Interfaith Council and authorized University offices.
- Users of the space must adhere to University policies and procedures and applicable federal, provincial and municipal laws and regulations.
Location - 144 Central Square
There are two additional entrances on the Ross Podium (vestibule 201 & 202). Wheelchair access is available by taking the South Ross elevators to the second floor and going west to Ross Podium and entering at vestibule 202.
Hours of Operation - Open daily from 7am to 11pm