The Office of the Provost & Vice-President Academic will welcome its the third cohort of Provostial Fellows in 2023. The program aims to enrich York as an institution, by investing in projects that have the potential to significantly advance University Academic Plan (UAP) priorities and Fellows' careers. Through the program, there are opportunities to create and implement initiatives with support, collaboration and mentoring from University leadership.
About the program
York University Academic Plan 2020-25 sets out six exciting and important priorities along with a university-wide challenge to contribute to the UN Sustainable Development Goals. In support of this mandate, tenured faculty members at York are invited to submit expressions of interest for consideration as Provostial Fellows.
This is a great opportunity to work with the Provost and relevant members of senior leadership on an innovative project or initiative that advances one of the UAP priority areas at an institutional or faculty level. Please note, projects do not need to be limited to a fellow's home faculty.
Projects must seek to enhance, and intersect with the University-wide challenge to elevate our contributions to the UN SDGs. The proposed project should also seek to provide an opportunity for personal professional growth and learning and the exploration of leadership at the faculty or institutional level.
University Academic Plan priorities
Provostial Fellows deliver on academic priorities and Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
- 1 year: between July 1, 2023 to June 30, 2024
- Normally 0.5 course release arranged in consultation with Dean/Principal
- Generic expense reimbursement ($5,000 per annum) to be used at the discretion of the fellow
- Project funds appropriate to activities proposed
- Professional development supports based on identified needs and interests
The Fellows program is intended for tenured faculty who are interested in future university leadership. Note: Indigenous faculty and those from equity deserving groups are encouraged to apply. Please complete the self-identification form.
Deadline and how to apply
The deadline for applications to the 2023-24 program has now closed. We look forward to welcoming applications again in Spring 2024.
1. A cover letter that addresses the following questions:
- What are the UAP and SDG priorities that you would like to advance through a Provostial Fellowship and why?
- Do you have a specific project to propose, or an area or initiative you would be especially interested in working on?
- Which units (Faculties, Departments/Schools, Administrative Offices, etc.) do you envisage working with on this project?
- What is your interest in the Provostial Fellows Program and how will the experience contribute to your professional growth and learning?
- What skills and experience do you bring to the program that will benefit both York and the Fellows cohort?
- Other items: anything else you think the selection committee should know.
2. A short CV (4-6 pages) that highlights information relevant to this opportunity.
Fellows will be selected by a panel, including the Provost & Vice-President Academic (Chair), and representatives from the Offices of the VP Research & Innovation; VP Equity, People & Culture; Vice-Provost Students; and others as appropriate for the applications submitted.
Selection criteria include:
- Area of interest / alignment to the SDG Challenge
- Statement of interest / rationale for participation (i.e., cover letter that addresses the questions above)
- Career stage and interest in university leadership
- Designated group status
|Deadline for applications||By end of day on Thursday May 4, 2023|
|Provostial Fellows announced||June 2023|
|Project and professional development plans completed in cooperation with the Provost and relevant senior leaders||Summer 2023|
|Fellowship activities||Fall 2023 / Winter 2024|
Want to know more?
Please direct queries to Sarah Whitaker, Executive Director, Academic Planning, Office of the Provost & Vice-President Academic, York University: email@example.com