The Office of the Provost & Vice-President Academic is excited to launch a call for the Provostial Fellows Program, which will provide capacity at an institutional level to advance the University Academic Plan, including York's SDG Challenge in demonstrable ways, and also provide an opportunity for a diverse group of tenured faculty to gain hands-on experience in university leadership.
The launch of the University Academic Plan “Building a Better Future: York University Academic Plan 2020-2025” sets out six exciting and important priorities for York and a university-wide challenge to contribute to the UN Sustainable Development Goals.
In support of this mandate, York tenured faculty members are invited to submit expressions of interest for consideration as Provostial Fellows. Fellows will work with the Provost and relevant members of the senior leadership on a project or initiative intended to advance one of the UAP priority areas, listed below, at an institutional or Faculty level (note, a project need not be limited to the Fellow’s home Faculty).
Projects must seek to enhance, and intersect with, the university-wide challenge to elevate our contributions to the UN Sustainable Development Goals. The proposed project should also seek to provide an opportunity for personal professional growth and learning, and to the exploration of leadership at the Faculty or institutional level.
- 21st Century Learning: Diversifying Whom, What, and How We Teach
- Knowledge for the Future: From Creation to Application
- From Access to Success: Next Generation Student Supports
- Advancing Global Engagement
- Working in Partnership
- Living Well Together
Timeframe: 1 – 2 years, depending on project
- Normally 0.5 course release arranged in consultation with Dean/Principal
- Generic expense reimbursement ($5,000 per annum) to be used at the discretion of the fellow
- Professional development supports based on identified needs and interests
The Fellows program is intended for tenured faculty who are interested in future university leadership. Note: Indigenous faculty and those from equity deserving groups are encouraged to apply. Please complete the self-identification form.
Deadline and how to apply
The deadline to apply for this year's program has passed. We look forward to welcoming applications again in Spring, 2023.
1. A cover letter that addresses the following questions:
- What are the UAP and SDG priorities that you would like to advance through a Provostial Fellowship and why?
- Do you have a specific project to propose, or an area or initiative you would be especially interested in working on?
- Which units (Faculties, Departments/Schools, Administrative Offices, etc.) do you envisage working with on this project?
- What is your interest in the Provostial Fellows Program and how will the experience contribute to your professional growth and learning?
- What skills and experience do you bring to the program that will benefit both York and the Fellows cohort?
- Other? (Anything else you think the selection committee should know)
2. A short CV (4-6 pages) that highlights information relevant to this opportunity.
Fellows will be selected by a panel, including the Provost & Vice-President Academic (Chair), and representatives from the Offices of the VP Research & Innovation; VP Equity, People & Culture; Vice-Provost Students; and others as appropriate for the applications submitted.
Selection criteria include:
- Area of interest / alignment to the SDG Challenge
- Statement of interest / rationale for participation (i.e., cover letter that addresses the questions above)
- Career stage and interest in university leadership
- Designated group status
|Deadline for applications||No later than 4pm on Wednesday, May 4, 2022|
|Provostial Fellows announced||June 2022|
|Project and professional development plans completed in cooperation with Provost and relevant senior leaders||Summer 2022|
|Fellowship activities||Fall 2022 / Winter 2023|
Want to know more?
Please direct queries to Sarah Whitaker, Senior Advisor and Director of Academic Affairs, Office of the Provost & Vice-President Academic, York University: firstname.lastname@example.org