Re-advertisement - Student Opportunity: Decolonizing Planetary Health Research Assistant
Job ID: 31380
Application Deadline: Friday, September 3, 2021 @11:59pm
Eligibility Criteria: sfs.yorku.ca/work-study-programs/how-to-apply-for-ray-positions
Applications are only accepted through the Career Centre. Go to careers.yorku.ca/online-system/ and search for the posting with the Job ID (listed above).
Hourly Wage: $16.25 per hour
Weekly Hours: 6.5 hours per week
Start Date: September 13, 2021
End Date: April 29, 2022
- Support the development of a decolonized planetary Health research agenda
- Support Dr. Stinson’s SSHRC funded research project “Planetary Health Partnership: Anishinaabe youth guardians, land-based learning, and the practice of living well with the world.”
- Attend and actively participate in a weekly transdisciplinary seminar series on planetary health and environmental research
- Any other duties as assigned
Specific research activities the student(s) will be engaged in:
- Create a structured and annotated bibliographic review of existing literature;
- Create a digital research archive of PDFs of identified papers;
- Create a series of draft PowerPoint presentations that capture the core conceptual content.
- Mobilze research results for public audiences via social media
Type of research experience the student(s) will receive:
- Critical thinking
- Conducting literature review; Creating annotated bibliography; Tabulating data;
- Preparing presentations and written outputs of research; Editing and formatting drafts; Correspondence with partners and workshop invitees;
- Professional communication, including international and cross-cultural professional interaction and communication
- Knowledge mobilization for public audiences
Type of training and support that will be provided to the student(s) in carrying out these research activities:
- Methodological training on data analysis
- Subject matter training on Indigenous Peoples, environmentalism, and Global Health.
- Training in the use of reference management software
- Day-to-day supervision by DIGHR Postdoctoral Fellow
- Regular status meetings with your supervising Postdoctoral Fellow, Dr. James Stinson
- Current undergraduate York student (we encourage applicants from diverse programs of study and Indigenous applicants are especially encouraged)
- Demonstrated interest in Indigenous Peoples, Environmentalism, and/or Global Health
- Demonstrated skills, experience, and familiarity with conducting literature reviews
- Experience working with people from a variety of backgrounds/cultures
- Excellent communication skills: professional email/phone correspondence, public speaking, and presentation proficiency
- Excellent computer skills (word processing, email, database management, spreadsheets)
- Demonstrates an eagerness to learn and take on initiative
- Demonstrates organizational and time management skills
- Ability and willingness to work both independently and as part of a team with researchers, students, and staff
List of applications materials:
- Cover Letter
- Writing Sample
|Climate Change, Decolonization|
You may also be interested in...
Narratives of vulnerability and resilience: An investigation of the climate action plans of New York City and Copenhagen
This paper by Dahdaleh Institute Research Fellow Chiara Camponeschi, argues that the rise of a global mainstream resilience narrative is...
Read more about this Post
Planetary Health Initiatives in Bangladesh
Overview Bangladesh is considered as one of the most vulnerable countries to the impacts of climate change due to its...
Read more about this Project
Global Youth Video Competition Winners
Youth Climate Report, in partnership with the United Nations Climate Change Secretariat and Television for the Environment, runs a program...
Read more about this resource
Re-advertisement - Student Opportunity: SMART Conservation and the Production of Nature 3.0 Research Assistant
Job ID: 31381 Application Deadline: Friday, September 3, 2021 @11:59pm Eligibility Criteria: sfs.yorku.ca/work-study-programs/how-to-apply-for-ray-positions Applications are only accepted through the Career...
Read more about this Post