This option responds to students’ interests in teaching in international locations after they have graduated with a BEd; it is designed to help students to develop the skills and experiences that will prepare them to teach in an international location, while also fulfilling the Ontario degree and certification requirements.
The specialization is offered within the existing BEd degree offerings and requirements, and will allow students to “package” their courses and experiences in order to take a specific focus.
In order to complete this concentration, students must:
Complete all of the requirements for a Bachelor of Education at York University, including these three components:
- Complete and submit the approved checklist/application, along with all supporting documentation in original, hard copies by December 23 in the term prior to graduation.
- Complete two (2) of the following courses (total 6.00 credits):
- ED/EDUC 2700 (3.00) Teaching Internationally and Interculturally
- ED/EDUC 3910 (3.00) Reflecting On and Interpreting the International Educational Experience
- ED/EDUC 2720 (3.00) Teaching English in International Contexts
- ED/ EDUC 3710 (3.00) Global Issues and Education
- OR if participated in a York University exchange or study abroad program (total 6.00 credits):
- Earn the equivalent of 6.00 York Education elective credits at the internationally-located university OR earn one (1) of: ED/EDUC 3910 (3.00) Reflecting On and Interpreting the International Educational Experience or ED/EDUC 2700 (3.00) Teaching Internationally and Interculturally or ED/EDUC 2720 3.00 Teaching English in International Contexts and the equivalent of 3.00 York Education electives at the internationally-located university
- Complete at least one (1) of the following international experience programs for a minimum of one month*:
* This experience is completed in the summer(s) between Year 1 and Year 2 of the Bachelor of Education degree program.
Upon confirmation a notation will be added to the student’s transcripts, indicating that the specialization has been completed.
- The specialization is only open to students in the Bachelor of Education program.
- Students must complete all of the required activities during their BEd degree program.
- Students may not apply for the transcript notation or specialization retroactively.