The allotment of funds within the university’s chartfield structure (i.e. fund, account, cost centre, activity, time, location) occurs via journal entries. Journal entries are the means to transfer dollars within the financial system. It is used to correct actual cost charges or to re-distribute or re-align actual costs. For a complete instruction on completing journal entries refer to Preparing Journal Entries at York University Manual.
Any staff member in a department can prepare journals, but journals can only be approved by certain individuals.
- Electronic Journal Upload Template and Instructions (Excel) For best results open with Google Chrome
|Journal Type||Approved by:|
(Fund 400 and/or 500)
|Cost centre manager; or|
|All Other Journals|
including budget allocation journals.
|Cost Centre Manager; or|
Primary/Delegated Signer; or
Executive Officer; or equivalent; or
Financial Officer; or equivalent of the cost centres that is included in the journal; or
Supervisor/Manager of journal preparer
Approvers cannot authorize someone else to approve on his/her behalf. Finance will not process a journal if the journal has been approved by an individual who does not meet one of the four (4) criteria listed above.
Common use of Journal Entries
- record revenues received
- charge other departments for goods and/or services
- correct errors in chartfields (account, cost centre, activity, time and location)
- transfer funding support within and between departments and/or faculties
- reallocate revenues, expenses, assets and/or liabilities
Where to send the Journal
The type of journal will determine the Finance group that will be responsible for processing the journal. Since each area has its own email address for journals, it is important that the approved journals are sent to the correct area to avoid any delays.