How can we help?
Browse the topics below to find what you are looking for.
Our COVID-19 safety measures for our in-person programming include the following:
- screening with the Ontario Ministry of Health’s self-assessment tool encouraged before coming onto campus;
- COVID-19 vaccination strongly encouraged;
- enhanced cleaning procedures of high-touch areas and camp rooms by York University Facility Services and Camp Staff;
- conducting experiments and activities outdoors when possible, weather permitting;
- masks are strongly recommended at all times while indoors.
Now easily accessible via the TTC York University subway station!
Our programs are located on the York University Keele Campus at 4700 Keele Street. Exact room locations are provided in the Welcome Package after registration.
We offer Financial Assistance for Science Engagement Programs, when funding is available. Applications will be assessed on a first come, first serve basis, depending on funding availability.
If you have questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our refund policy varies by program – see details below. All cancellation/refund requests need to be submitted in writing to email@example.com. For multi-day programs, no refunds will be given for days when a participant is absent, and missed days cannot be made up.
PA Day/ Saturday Program: Cancellations made 21+ calendar days prior to the start of the program are eligible for a full refund, minus a $15 administration fee per participant, per course. Refunds will be given upon written notice of cancellation. No refunds will be made after the 21 calendar day deadline.
Online Workshops: Cancellation requests made 21+ calendar days prior to the start of the program are eligible for a full refund, minus a $15 administration fee per participant per session. Cancellation requests made 21+ calendar days before the program starts and after the STEM Kit has been shipped, are eligible for a full refund minus a $50 administration and STEM Kit fee per participant per session. No refunds will be made after the 21 calendar day deadline.
March Break / Science Explorations Summer Camp: Cancellations made 21+ calendar days prior to the start of the program are eligible for a full refund, minus a $75 administration fee per child per course. No refunds will be made after the 21 calendar day deadline.
Spark Lab Summer Program: Cancellations made 21 calendar days prior to the start of the program are eligible for a full refund, minus a $120 administration fee per participant, per course. Refunds will be given upon written notice of cancellation. No refunds will be made after the 21 calendar day deadline.
Online Summer Camp: Cancellation requests made before June 1 are eligible for a full refund, minus a $15 administration fee per participant per session. Cancellations made after June 1 and 21 calendar days prior to the start of camp are eligible for a full refund, minus a $50 administration and STEM Kit fee per participant per session. No refunds will be made after the 21 calendar day deadline.
Students are not permitted to use electronic devices during their time with our in-person programs, to avoid distractions that may take away from the experience, and to encourage socialization during break times.
In cases of emergency, Camp Staff will contact a parent/guardian directly. If a device is required for extenuating circumstances, please inform Camp Staff prior to the start of camp to avoid miscommunication.
Campers are allowed to bring items to use during free time (e.g., games, balls, books, etc.), however Science Engagement will not be held responsible for any loss/damage to these items.
Our Instructors are undergraduate or graduate science students, teacher candidates, or Ontario Certified Teachers.
Depending on the grade level and some activities, guardian participation may be required. For younger participants, or those requiring extra help, we recommend a parent/guardian should always be present or close by for assistance.
While we have taken steps to make sure that every participant feels safe and engaged, our online programs are not meant to function as childcare. We ask that parent(s)/guardian(s) continue to supervise their child(ren) while they participate in our online programs.
Before the program starts, please spend 15 minutes to guide your child(ren) through using Zoom. Here is a helpful guide on Zoom features such as raising their hand if they have a question, screen sharing, using reactions, and more.
Due to the online nature of the program, we are unable to provide one-on-one support. We ask that parent(s)/guardian(s) remain nearby in case the participant requires extra help. Please also list any behavioural concerns or exceptionalities we should be aware of during the registration process. (Ex: fears/phobias, learning disability, difficulty making friends, tendency to wander, etc).
For further assistance or if you have concerns, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will try our best to support the participant prior to the program start.
We will be using Zoom, the platform that York University has chosen for online learning. A link for Zoom will be emailed to participants on the Friday before the program starts.
Please spend 15 minutes to guide your child(ren) through using Zoom prior to the start of the program. Here is a helpful guide on Zoom setup and features [PDF] such as raising their hand if they have a question, screen sharing, using reactions, and more.
- STEM programs: only Zoom set-up required
- Coding programs: additional program/software installation may be required depending on the program you are registered for. This information will be sent to you after registration.
Each program is recorded for safety, legal, and training purposes. Recordings will not be shared with anyone outside of the program or with participants.
For optimal engagement, we recommend that each participant has their webcam enabled. This will allow Instructors to follow along on each participant’s progress. And to assist if participant’s have difficulties with the activities. This will also allow participants to share their activities with each other!
- Make sure your Zoom name is the first name and last initial of the participant registered in the class. This is so we can properly identify you and admit you into the classroom.
- Treat an online classroom just like a real one. Give your full attention to whoever is talking, and do your best work on the activities. Be respectful to the other people in the classroom the same way you would in real life.
- Keep yourself muted when you aren’t talking. Use the raise hand button and wait to be called on before asking a question.
- Arrive on time. Coming to class late slows down the whole class. It also means that we have less time for learning and doing activities. If you have difficulties entering the Zoom class, please contact us immediately at email@example.com.
- Don’t distract yourself with other tasks while you’re in class. Turn off other devices and any unrelated programs on your main device.
- Ask questions and participate in the class. We want to help you learn, so if you have any questions, please ask them! We highly recommend that you use a webcam and a microphone, so you can better participate in group discussion about what we’re learning.