For Glendon Campus click here.
Welcome to the ESL Open Learning Centre
14-15 FALL SCHEDULE BEGINS SEPT 15th --
NEW LOCATION: 327 South Ross
COME VISIT OUR NEW PREMISES
The ESL Open Learning Centre (ESL-OLC) offers support to English as a Second Language (ESL) students registered in credit courses at York University. The Centre is open to ALL York students, registered in degree programs, AND IS FREE OF CHARGE. Graduate and undergraduate students are welcome. We are constantly developing our programs to meet the needs of ESL students at York, so please stay tuned for updates. Please feel free to drop in to ask any questions or to browse our library during any of our open hours. Students may request help in ANY aspect of English: listening, reading, writing, and speaking.Our services include:
- A regular workshop series on topics related to the language needs of ESL students
- A Story Hub for your personal/fictional writing projects
- Small group English language learning (50 min. sessions)
- Independent language learning using print and multimedia materials from our library
of ESL texts, audio tapes, websites, self-study guides, and CD-ROM products
- Individual tutoring (50 min. sessions) on specific language needs
- Weekly English movie nights with conversation after
- Drop-In is available during scheduled hours, if a tutor or language facilitator is free.
Please note that we are not an essay editing service!
- We don't proofread essays for you.
- We teach you to correct your own mistakes.
Contact us: 416-736-2100 X 22940
Coordinator: Brenda McComb email:email@example.com
ESL Story Hub
York is a crossroads for individuals from all over the world and at all levels of study who arrive here through many complex networks of migration to pursue their goals. This is a dramatic process, and ESL students carry many immensely interesting stories. If you have a story you would like to share -- yours, another's or imagined! -- the ESL OLC wants to hear it and provide a forum for you to share it with the York community.
To submit your stories please register and login and look for the Story Hub link on the left menu. We will review it and, once it's accepted, upload it to the STORY HUB on our website for others to read. We are also exploring the possibility of publishing winning stories in EXISTERE, York's literary journal.
If you are hesitant to identify yourself as author, you can remain anonymous. If you want to work on language and style issues in your stories, please book a tutorial. Besides their human interest, these stories are great language learning exercises!
Registration and Sign-Up Procedure
- To sign up for tutoring, workshops, and small group learning, or to use these facilities, you must be a registered user. To register, please click the Register with OLC link on the left.
- Once you have registered, you can Log In, and use the online form to book space in the variety of learning opportunities we offer.
- You can also drop into any unbooked tutorial or a small group session if space permits!
- You may cancel an enrolment for a tutorial or workshop at any time.
- However, if you cancel 2 times during the semester within 2 days of the session you have enrolled for, you will not be allowed to enrol for that type of session (tutorial/workshop) for the rest of the semester.
- Please note that the same rule applies to sessions you have booked and do not show up for.
- Note if you do not arrive within 15 minutes of your session start time, it may be given to another student.
- There is tremendous demand for this service; therefore, we have to ensure that students who frequently do not attend sessions they've signed up for do not keep other deserving students from accessing sessions they want.
All students registered at the ESL OLC are able to use materials and facilities for self-study at the Multimedia Languages Centre, 117 Ross South". No appointments are necessary; students should just indicate that they are enrolled in the ESL OLC.
-- Please see Writing Department Workshops series -- SIGN UP!!!
-- Please complete ESL GRAD STUDENT SURVEY to help us design programs at the OLC to fit your needs.
Regular Weekly Schedule of Appointments:
Monday: 11am - 5pm
Tuesday: 10am - 8pm
Wednesday: 11am - 4pm
Thursday: 9am - 8pm
Friday: 10am - 5pm
- Check on-line schedule for minor weekly variations
- If you cannot book a tutoring session, a small group session or a workshop because it is FULL, please send an e-mail to ESLOLC@YORKU.CA We will be keeping this information for statistical purposes and may not respond to the e-mail. Thank You!