In accordance with the Ontario College of Teachers (OCT) accreditation, all students in the Bachelor of Education (BEd) and Bachelor of Education (BEd) Technological Education are all required to complete school-based classroom practicum. School practicum occurs in host schools at different times throughout the academic year. Our program operates in schools with the continuing partnership of the school board and the staff.
Students are placed with the following School Boards:
- Dufferin-Peel Catholic School Board
- Peel District School Board
- Toronto District School Board
- Toronto Catholic School Board
- York Region District School Board
- York Catholic School Board
Note about placement requirements:
- With adherence to provincial legislation, all students must have a completed, cleared, original copy of their Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Screening before entering a school building. This document must be presented to the Board and/or school as required by each individual school board; this presentation may be in advance of the placement or on the first day.
- Students must confirm this process and complete requirements before they are welcome into a school.
Note about language in placements:
- French language:
- Only students in the Bachelor of Education program at Glendon will be placed in French immersion placements.
- Students who are completing a Junior-Intermediate or Intermediate-Senior teachable will be placed in French as a Second Language (FSL) placements.
- All other students will complete placements in English-language classrooms.
- American Sign Language (ASL)
- Students will not be placed classrooms where American Sign Language (ASL) is the language of instruction.
- If interested in specializing in this area, students are encouraged to apply to the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Teacher Education Program after the completion of the Bachelor of Education degree.
More information about school practicum can be found on the Mentor Teacher Resource Room (MTRR).