The Dr. Ralph Nicholls Graduate Scholarship has been established as a meaningful tribute to Dr. Ralph Nicholls for his many years of service to the University and mentoring of York faculty members and students. The award supports research in Physics, Astronomy, Atmospheric or Space Sciences. Applicants must be Canadian citizens, permanent residents or protected persons, be Ontario residents*, and demonstrate financial need.
Value and Duration
- One award up to $4,500 (Subject to change)
- Incoming or continuing full-time graduate student in Physics, Astronomy, Atmospheric or Space Sciences;
- Must be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or protected person, a resident of Ontario;
- Entering students must have exhibited outstanding academic achievement (minimum GPA of an A in the last two years of full-time studies) and participated in scientific activities related to their area of study;
- Continuing graduate students must demonstrate a high level of research and academic performance and good communication skills as demonstrated through participation in teaching, presentations (conferences/seminars), or the publishing of research papers;
- Confirmation of financial need;
- Preference will be given to first year students but continuing graduate students will be considered in instances where there are no suitable incoming candidates.
- Student deadline: February 28
- Graduate program deadline (if applicable): March 15
Award Period (when the award will be paid)
- Upcoming academic year.
How to Apply
- Students must submit the following in one PDF document through the Award Submission Portal:
- Award Application Form: the applicant's statement section should outline how the student's research is aligned with the scope of the award;
- A current Curriculum Vitae;
- Official or unofficial transcripts. A copy of grades from the student account is acceptable. Must include the last two years or all years of graduate studies.
- Also separately, online Student Financial Profile must also be completed by the student submission deadline.
- If you require further assistance, please contact our Scholarship & Awards Coordinator by visiting our FGS Staff Directory.