The SSHRC Doctoral Fellowships and SSHRC CGS Doctoral Scholarships aim to develop research skills and assist in the training of highly qualified personnel by supporting students who demonstrate a high standard of scholarly achievement in undergraduate and graduate studies in the social sciences and humanities.
Value and Duration
- SSHRC Doctoral Fellowship - $20,000 per year up to 4 years
- SSHRC CGS - $35,000 per year for 3 years
- October 15th, 2023 (Previously October 10th at 11:59pm) (institutional deadline for York students)
How to Apply
To submit an application, please follow the online application instructions provided by SSHRC.
In addition, students submitting a SSHRC doctoral application through York University are required to submit the 2024-2025 Tri-Council and Ontario Graduate Scholarship Cover Sheet by October 15th, 2023 (Previously October 10th at 11:59pm).
Official transcripts with your complete academic record (undergraduate and graduate studies, completed and ongoing) are required. Accordingly, applicants are responsible for collecting, uploading, and confirming legibility of previous and current (including Fall 2023 even if no grades are available) official transcripts and upload them directly onto the application portal.
To access your York University official transcript, please visit the Order Transcripts Online page and request for your official transcript to be emailed to you. Please note that grade reports will not be accepted.
The Triagency will only accept unofficial transcripts if official transcripts cannot be obtained.
FGS encourages all graduate students applying for external scholarships to consult the following guides:
- Guide for Students
- Guide for Referees
- FGS Grant Writing Workshop - August 18th, 2022 (morning)
- FGS Grant Writing Workshop - August 18th, 2022 (afternoon)
- Scholarship Proposal Development Presentation
Institutional results will be available by the end of November 2023. Announcement of final results will be made available by the end of April 2024 via SSHRC Extranet for Applicants.
- If you require further assistance, please contact our Scholarship & Awards Coordinator or Research Officer by visiting our FGS Staff Directory.