Academic Excellence Fund
Launched in the fall of 2021, the Academic Excellence Fund (AEF) program supports graduate students in advancing their research and scholarly objectives through simple and timely access to funds. Activities that are supported by AEF include research, dissemination of scholarly or creative work as well as well as student-led initiatives, activities or events that advance graduate research and professional development. Students are able to apply for and access AEF funds before the expenses are incurred.
Eligible students may request up to $2000 for expenses directly related to their own research and scholarship activities, as well as $300 for collective initiatives per academic year.
All actively registered part-time and full-time Masters and doctoral students are eligible, except for Schulich Masters and Osgoode Professional Development students. Students must be actively registered at the time the expenses are incurred as well as when they apply for AEF.
Supported Activities and Eligible Expenses
There are four types of activities subsidized by AEF described below as well as eligible expenses.
The applicant completes the AEF application portal. They are asked to provide their supervisor information as well as details of their proposed activities.
After the student submits an application, their supervisor will be notified and asked to complete the supervisor form, within 10 days of the student deadline.
Retain required documentation for one year in case of audit as described below:
- Proof of payment for all expenses; and,
- For conference presentation, confirmation of acceptance to present;
- For travel, confirmation of travel including boarding passes, train tickets, gas receipts;
- For other activities, confirmation that the proposed activity was carried out, including event information, research dissemination materials, and publications.
- All expenses must be incurred within 4 months of the Academic Excellence Fund deadline.
If you require further assistance, please contact our Associate Director, Research, Scholarships & Awards by visiting our FGS Staff Directory.