PDF vs. PDV
Postdoctoral researchers at York are categorized as either Postdoctoral Fellows (PDFs) or Postdoctoral Visitors (PDVs). The categories depend on where the fellowship was created or originated. If the fellowship is offered by any body external to York, the incumbent is categorized as a PDF. If the fellowship is created by a researcher or unit at York University and paid for through university funds of any type, the incumbent is a PDV.
- hold an external fellowship offered by agencies or other non-York sources such as NSERC, SSHRC, CIHR, etc.;
- typically apply for such fellowships in their own name (rather than in that of their supervisor);
- are not York University employees; are supervised by York faculty members; are not unionized;
- are able to teach through applying for CUPE postings or CUPE exemptions only;
- at the discretion of the supervisor, may have access to benefits; and
- may or may not have their salary topped up by York University research funds.
- hold fellowships created at York University that are funded by monies administered by the university (e.g. grants held by faculty members);
- are York University employees;
- are supervised by York faculty members;
- are unionized and are members of the York University Faculty Association, and are subject to the provisions of the YUFA Collective Agreement;
- are able to teach up to a maximum of 1.0 courses per year;
- have access to benefits and leaves as described in the YUFA Collective Agreement; and
- do not hold any form of postdoctoral fellowship or funding offered by any external agency.
- Senate Policy on Postdoctoral Researchers at York University;
- All FGS resources for postdocs;
- All FGS resources for supervisors;
- YUFA Collective Agreement.