Skip to main content Skip to local navigation
Home » About » Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Please feel free to reach out if your question is not addressed below.

I am not a York student. How do I apply to the Communication & Media Studies Program?
The first step is to contact the Office of Admissions regarding your interest in becoming a York student. Please visit York's Future Students website for information pertaining to admission requirements, transfer credits, deadlines and more.

I am a York student and have questions about the Communication & Media Studies Program. How do I contact the department?
We are located in room 3004 Dahdaleh Building. Our number is 416-736-5057 and our email is Our hours of operation are Monday - Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm (unless otherwise posted).

Please contact us for all your general inquiries about the Department of Communication & Media Studies.

Tell me more about the awards offered by the Department of Communication & Media Studies.
Please refer to our Awards page for more information.

Tell me more about the Communication Studies Student Association.
Find more information on the Communication Studies Student Association website.

Where can I find more information about the Graduate Program?
Please contact the Graduate Program in Communication & Culture for more information.

Program Information

Will the department name change impact on my degree?
The department name change is intended to better communicate what we do as a department. There are no changes to the degree requirements associated with the change.

How do I change my program/major?
Please refer to Program Change for more information about changing your program or major.

To begin the process, students must complete a Change My Program Request Form, and submit the form to the Registrar's Office in the Bennett Centre. Department approval is required only for students requesting to enter into our Specialized Honours Program. As of February 2010, all other programs in Communication & Media Studies do not require departmental approval.

For program requirements in Communication & Media Studies, please contact us to schedule an appointment with one of our advisors.

How do I set up an advising appointment?
To book an advising appointment, please contact us:

Where can I obtain a study plan/checklist?
Updated Program Checklists will be posted shortly. In the interim, please schedule an advising appointment with our Program Secretary by contacting our office.

How may I obtain more information about the Communication Arts Joint Programs?
The Joint Program allows students to work concurrently towards a university degree and a diploma in one of these areas of study either at Seneca College (Creative Advertising; Broadcasting: Radio, TV Journalism) or at Centennial College (Corporate Communication; Book and Magazine Publishing).

For further information, please contact John Mahaffy in the Office of Continuing Students at 416-736-5222, 150 Atkinson Building.

Course Information

Refer to the Undergraduate Important Dates online.

I am currently enrolled in one of your courses. How can I change my tutorial section?
Students who are able to enrol in their courses may have the opportunity to change their tutorial section online. Sign into "My Online Services" using your Passport York account before the enrolment deadline to change your tutorial section in a particular course.

After the deadline, please complete a departmental Change of Tutorial Form (link to form on 'Forms' navigation section). This form must be signed by both the Course Director and T.A. Please note, this is not a final approval. Once submitted to the department, your request will be put in queue, pending departmental approval.

If approved, students will be notified to meet with the Program Secretary.

Where do I submit my assignment for my course?
Each of our courses has an Assignment Drop Box located on 3rd floor of the Dahdaleh Building, outside our main doors, near the north elevators. Students are strongly encouraged to submit assignments in the appropriate drop boxes for pick up by their Course Director or T.A.

What do I do if I am sick and cannot attend class/exam?
Immediately contact your Course Director.

The course I want to enrol in is full. What should I do?
If a course is full, students should keep trying to enrol before the "last date to enrol without permission of course instructor" deadline. After this deadline, students should speak with the course director to seek permission into the course.

Students may request to be placed on a waitlist for some courses. Please contact us for information about our waitlists.

Please refer to the Undergraduate Sessional Dates got information about course and enrolment deadlines.

Can I put my name on a waitlist to get into a Communication & Media Studies course?
Some of our courses offer a waitlist. Students should contact our department to place their name on a waitlist. Please note that waitlists do not guarantee entry into a course; students who place their name on a waitlist will be contacted if space in a course becomes available.

The course I want to take is reserved or requires permission. What should I do?
If a course has space reserved, limited space has been set aside for specific categories of students who must take the course to satisfy their program requirements. Spaces are limited and are filled based on student's enrolment date.

Students with questions about their enrolment date should review the Enrolment Guide on the Registrar's Enrolment Information website.

Can I take a course at another university and have the credit transferred to York?
Students may have credits from another university transferred to York, but must first have the course approved by our Undergraduate Program Director. Students should complete a Letter of Permission form.

This form should be submitted to our UPD along with the course description, institution and syllabus if possible. Students are strongly advised to do this as early as possible once they have decided to take the course.

Does Communication & Media Studies offer co-op, or a course providing hands-on experience?
Students earn course credit through a Field Experience course as placement students in an organization involved in communication policy development, information services or administration. Please contact us for further information.