Student Ombuds Services (SOS) is Bethune's academic student organization that provides free peer academic support services to York students. SOS provides a broad range of services, some targeted at incoming first year students. We understand how difficult the transition to university can be and we are here to help.
Note: In the summer, only the Peer Assisted Study Sessions (PASS) program is running. All other programming resumes in the fall.
- The Peer Mentoring program is designed to assist first-year students in making a successful transition to university life.
- All incoming first-year Bethune students are matched with a peer mentor in the same program before September classes start. These mentors are available to answer questions, give advice, and help incoming students adapt to university life.
- Peer Mentors have also planned seminars and workshops to help you learn more about careers, professional schools, research and volunteering.
- Peer Mentors also provide drop-in peer advising (208 Bethune College - Monday to Friday) to answer any other questions you may have!
- The Peer Tutor program provides free, drop-in tutoring to help with understanding, have a discussion on the material, or to delve deeper into specific concepts. Stop by 104 Life Sciences Building to find student peer tutors!
- Do you need a more structured and organized study session? In this case, look up the Peer Assisted Study Sessions (PASS) schedule for the different Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics and Physics courses. These are 90-min sessions facilitated by upper year students to help you understand concepts better.
- If you are ready to start contributing as a peer leader in your first year, consider volunteering for the Class Representative program. Class Representatives strengthen the ties between students and course directors/instructors by fostering communication, helping students get more engaged and perform better in their courses by organizing study groups and making regular in-class announcements.
- Join us Wednesday evenings from 5:30-7:00 pm in 320 Bethune College for SOS Wednesday Evening Seminars to learn about professional schools, career options, research opportunities on campus, and much more!
- We provide training for our peer leaders to support them in their mission.