The role of the Science Student Caucus (SSC) is to represent undergraduate science students at the Faculty of Science Council and its standing committees. As well, two members of SSC become members of York's Senate (York’s academic governance body).
There are twenty undergraduate student members of caucus, elected by science undergraduate students each fall.
Undergraduate students registered in the Faculty of Science are eligible to be members of SSC.
On this page:
Elections are held in late September or early October for the twenty undergraduate members of caucus.
Candidates will be posted here each fall.
All SSC members are part of Science Faculty Council. The Council meets every second Tuesday of the month from 3:00-4:30 pm, normally in 306 Lumbers. For Fall 2021 and Winter 2022 meetings will be virtual.
Two SSC members are selected to serve as student Senators, and thus sit on the University Senate.
SCC members also serve on Science standing committees of council. These committees typically meet once per month (the regular time slot is shown in parenthesis below). Descriptions of these committees can be found in the Rules & Procedures for Council. Typically one student is on each committee, though there are exceptions.
Science Standing Committees of Council
- Academic Policy and Planning (Last Thurs of the month 9:00-10:30)
- Appeals (2 student members; Tues 10:30-12:00)
- Committee on Teaching and Learning (third Thurs of month 10-11:30am)
- Examinations and Academic Standards (one student and one alternate; Wednesdays 11:30-2:00 or 1:30-3:30 or Thursdays 1:30-3:30)
- Executive (first Tues of month 3:00-4:30)
- Graduate Education Committee (graduate students only; meeting as needed)
- Petitions (2 student members) (once a month, Wed 2:30-4:00 or Thurs 2:30-4:00)
- Research and Awards (every third Tuesday 10:00)
- Teaching and Learning (1 undergraduate and 2 graduate students; 3rd Thurs of month 1:1-2:30)
- Senate Review Tenure and Promotions (last Friday of the month 9:00-11:00)
- Equity, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI; fourth Wednesday of the month, 2:30-4:00)
- Undergraduate Curriculum (2 student members) (Last Tues of month 1:30-3:00)
- Student Senators (currently one vacancy; 4th Thurs of Month, 3:00-5:00)
Current Caucus Members
- Mustafa Abdulkadhim
- Sarah Abubaker
- Hila Akbari
- Sameen Ali
- Sabrina Brusco
- Areeba Chaudhry
- Usman Chaudhry Ahmed
- Claire Del Zotto
- Elana Dhaigham
- Iman Farah
- Alice Fours
- Alan Jia
- Hassan Khan
- Yashna Manek
- Ashlyn Nguyen
- Aleeza Qayyum
- Ailiya Rizwan
- Richi Rohra
- Sahib Singh Madahar
- Jessica Sinha