We offer two teacher education program delivery models – Concurrent and Consecutive – leading to the Bachelor of Education (BEd) degree and a recommendation for certification with the Ontario College of Teachers.
Graduates of our BEd program can teach in K-12 schools and are certified to teach in Ontario in one of the following grade levels:
- Primary-Junior (JK to Grade 6)
- Junior-Intermediate (Grade 4 to Grade 10) or
- Intermediate-Senior (Grade 7 to Grade 12)
Our program provides students with the knowledge and skills necessary to enter the teaching profession as confident and effective teachers.
The Bachelor of Education (BEd) is a full-time professional degree program. Students should expect to be involved in the program five days each week, completing a combination of coursework and community/school placements.
BEd - Concurrent
Students work towards earning their Concurrent BEd degree while completing another York undergraduate degree.
- Students can apply as Direct Entry from high school
BEd - Consecutive
Students have already completed or are in their last year of completing an undergraduate degree may qualify to study in the two year Consecutive BEd degree program.
Please be advised that programs in the Faculty of Education are intended to be delivered on campus or in official offsite locations in Toronto; community placements can only be completed in partner organizations and school placements can only be completed at partners school boards, which are located in the Greater Toronto Area (GTA). It is an expectation that students attend all classes in their scheduled format (whether online, blended or in-person) and complete their school and community-based placements where they are assigned in order to complete degree requirements.
- Bachelor of Education (Consecutive Full-time) – December 1, 2022
- Bachelor of Education Technological Education (Consecutive Full-time) - December 1, 2022
- Bachelor of Education (Pre-Education Direct Entry Concurrent Full-time) – mid-January 2023