The Vanier CGS program aims to attract and retain world-class doctoral students by supporting students who demonstrate both leadership skills and a high standard of scholarly achievement in graduate studies in the social sciences, humanities, natural sciences, engineering, and health.
For more information about the Vanier CGS, please visit the program website.
Value and Duration
- $50,000 per year, up to three years
- Canadian or International students are eligible;
- have completed no more than 20 months of doctoral studies as of May 1, 2022;
- have achieved a first–class average (A average) in each of the last two years of full–time study or equivalent; and
- not have already received or accepted a doctoral–level scholarship or fellowship from CIHR, SSHRC or NSERC to undertake or complete a doctoral degree (or combined MA/PhD or MD/PhD).
To be considered for a Vanier nomination, the following materials should be submitted via the application form by Thursday, July 15, 2021, by 4pm.
- A Research Proposal (maximum two pages);
- A Personal Leadership Statement (maximum two pages), outlining your study objectives and career goals, challenges and opportunities that have shaped your doctoral research, as well as accomplishments that demonstrate your leadership ability and skills.;
- A description of research contributions (maximum one page) you have made in previous research work, your role and impact;
- An up-to-date CV;
- Transcripts of all your undergraduate and graduate studies (unofficial transcripts and a copy of your student records are acceptable at this preliminary stage).
For detailed support, please carefully review the Faculty of Graduate Studies Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship Guide for Students.
- Thursday, July 15, 2021, 4pm: Deadline to submit preliminary application to FGS
- By August 10, 2021: Preliminary applicants will be notified of the result of the preliminary process. Successful applicants will be invited to submit a full application
- Tuesday, September 7, 2021: Deadline for invited applicants to submit full application
- By mid-October 2021: Applicants to be notified of results of application.
- Sunday, October 31, 2021: Deadline for selected nominees to submit final application.
- April 2022: Results to be announced.
- If you require further assistance, please contact our Research Officer by visiting our FGS Staff Directory.