Update September 2021:
Please note that the Fieldwork Cost Fund program is no longer accepting applications. For support for fieldwork and other direct research expenses, please review the Academic Excellence Fund program.
If you have an approved notice of award for Fieldwork Cost Fund :
We strongly advise you to review the current restrictions on in-person research and travel before submitting an application for this funding opportunity. For detail, please review the Research Ethics page
If you have received a notice of award for Fieldwork Cost Fund: It is recognized that research activities related to current and past Research Cost Fund and Fieldwork Cost Fund applications as awarded may be affected by COVID 19 related restrictions. Once awarded, students have a two-year period in which to submit expense claims related to their application. Based on current restrictions, expense claim time limits are being extended for a minimum of four months. If a further extension is required, requests will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
If applicable, costs related to the cancellation or postponement of planned research activities as described in your Fieldwork Cost Fund application may be eligible for consideration as approved expenses. Please note, receipts and/or other supporting documentation will be required.
The Fieldwork Cost Fund (FCF) assists with costs directly connected with research by registered, full-time York graduate students.
Applications are reviewed and allocations are determined by a committee consisting of:
- One full-time faculty member selected by the University; and,
- The Dean of Graduate Studies or designate.
Allocated funds are provided to successful applicants by reimbursement after eligible expenses are incurred and original, detailed receipts are provided. Reimbursement claims must match the budget line items approved by the Fieldwork Cost Fund Committee.
Value and Duration
- Successful applications may be allocated up to $1,000 per degree.
- Once awarded, students have a two-year period in which to submit expense claims related to their application.
- Applicants must be registered, full-time York graduate students.
- Applicants must not have outstanding grades of “I” at the end of the term prior to receiving the award.
- While an applicant’s MRP, Thesis, or Dissertation proposal may still be in development and pending approval at the time of application to the fund, it must have achieved all levels of approval (academic and ethics as appropriate) and be submitted to the appropriate office by the time the research is to be conducted. MRP proposals remain in the Program Office. Thesis/dissertation proposals are sent to FGS.
- Applicants whose research involves human participants must have received research ethics approval for their proposed research before the actual in-field research is commenced.
- Applicants must be registered with full-time status both at the time of application and at the time the research is undertaken.
- Only complete applications are considered.
- Student travel and/or accommodation necessary for research;
- Incentive payments or token gifts to research participants—where an incentive is deemed necessary, a $5 to $10 gift certificate is recommended for survey and interview respondents;
- Materials, supplies, photocopying and other services essential to the research; and/or,
- Disability accommodation costs for participants (e.g., accessible transportation, interpreters, note-takers)
- Applications to cover expenses for fieldwork prior to the competition may be considered when an applicant provides sufficient rationale for why the application was not made in the previous competition;
- Allocated funds are provided to successful applicants by reimbursement after eligible expenses are incurred and original, detailed receipts are provided (including incentives payments); and,
- Reimbursement claims must match the budget line items approved by the Fieldwork Cost Fund Committee.
- Conference costs;
- Subsistence costs (e.g. food, laundry);
- Tuition and related fees;
- Equipment and services considered a normal student expense including the cost of the researcher's intracity transportation within the GTA (e.g., city taxis, TTC); and/or,
- Services deemed essential without a quote from a certified professional.
Please note, the Fieldwork Cost Fund does not support student travel to present at conferences. However, if research plans include travel to a conference site for the specific purpose of interviewing experts presenting there, the applicant must provide evidence that interview appointments were arranged in advance of travel.
How to Submit an Expense Claim:
Please submit an expense claim electronically via CONCUR: For instructions download the Student Guide to Claim Personal Reimbursement (.pdf)
- Follow the instructions as specified in the notice of award.
- If you require further assistance, please contact our External Scholarships & Graduate Awards Manager by visiting our FGS Staff Directory.