York University courses are supported by the Online Course Evaluation system (ONCE). ONCE is designed to allow students to complete the evaluation form online. During the evaluation period, ONCE sends email communications and reminders to students to complete their evaluations.
The Online Course Evaluation system (ONCE) is available for both the Undergraduate and Graduate courses.
Instructors have direct access to their course result reports as soon the final grades are released to students. ONCE will be used going forward and simultaneously supports online and in-person instructions. For more details see the York University Sustainability Strategy (PDF).
Terms: Summer (S1, S2 and SU) 2021
|Course evaluation |
period for students
|S1 term: June 8, 2021 - June 22, 2021|
S2/SU terms: July 28, 2021 - August 11, 2021
|ONCE link & |
|S1 term: June 7, 2021 by 6 PM|
S2/SU terms: July 27, 2021 by 6 PM
|Results for |
|S1,S2 and SU terms: September 15, 2021|
Protocols for Instructors
- Instructors are encouraged to communicate the importance of course evaluations with students ahead of the scheduled timelines.
- Setting a day and time or a synchronous session to conduct online course evaluations for each of your courses is one of the most effective ways to note the importance of evaluations; it is also one of the keys to high response rates. Completion of online evaluations can be facilitated by requesting that students access their smart devices or laptops to complete them.
- Access to ONCE is via a Passport York account.
- Online Course evaluation results/reports via the ONCE system are available to instructors after the official grades have been submitted and released to students.
Action for School/Department Staff Designate: Your designate will link and confirm your courses prior to the evaluation period start date.
Please ensure you inform the designate in advance of your participation. Please note only undergraduate courses automatically deliver the university’s Core Institutional Questions (CIQs), graduate Courses do not have CIQ’s.
The LA&PS Faculty Course Evaluation is listed in ONCE as: **AP STANDARD COURSE EVALUATION with CIQ’s (OFFICIAL) updated 09/29/2020**
If your department/school has its own custom evaluation, then this is the one you should be linking to instead of the AP Standard. Please confirm with your administrative coordinator or UPD.
For courses in non-harmonized terms that would like to use ONCE to set up custom evaluation dates, please email email@example.com with your course information as soon as possible, and our eServices staff will set up the term in ONCE. Program staff will continue to link and confirm after the initial set up. Non-Harmonized terms are as follows:
- Fall: None
- Winter: WS
- Summer: I1, I2, I3, J1, J2, J3, S3, D2
In addition to non-harmonized courses, if you have any graduate studies courses scheduled in harmonized terms, but require custom course evaluation dates, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the course information and timelines needed. Please link and confirm the evaluation as usual, even prior to your request.
NOTE: For all courses running custom timelines for their course evaluations program staff or course instructors will need to send out a communication either by email or in eClass, directing students to the Course Evaluations website, in order for students to know about completing the evaluations. UIT only sends communications for harmonized terms.
Our colleagues offer a ONCE eLearning training course for program staff and instructors.
The course is posted on Moodle and requires logging in with a Passport York Account.
- If this is the first time you have logged in to Moodle, you’ll be taken to your profile screen where you must enter your email address.
- After saving your profile, return to this page and click the "ONCE Training" button again.
- The first time you click the button below, you’ll need to click the "Enrol me" button to self-enrol in the course, and then agree to a copyright notice.
- Online Course Evaluations website (ONCE)
- Teaching Commons
- Senate policies on student teaching evaluations
- How to create Course Evaluations Reports (DOCX)
Email support by topic: