105 Direct Entry
The School of Social Work seeks to prepare students to be critical practitioners who seek social transformation. This stream accepts applicants with a community college diploma in social service work, community work, child and youth work, other diplomas, and/or university credits to enter the BSW Honours Program with transfer credits required to complete 120 credits. Transfer credits are assessed during the admission process based on a review of the applicant’s most recent academic transcript. Some diploma holding students (e.g., Social Service Worker, some advanced standing Child and Youth Worker) are not required to take the first year introductory BSW course.
These students will enter the program at the second-year level, and will complete all their 2nd year major or core courses in social work, with the rest of their electives and remaining general education courses that are chosen from a wide selection of courses and disciplines across the University. In the third and fourth years, students will focus on 3rd and 4th major or core social work courses, 3000 level or above non-core social work major elective courses, and the remaining electives, outside of your BSW degree courses.
In the final year, students will complete a field practicum or placement in a social service setting. The practicum is arranged by the School to provide important hands-on experience in a variety of social/human services community settings. It is intended to support the integration of theory and practice, preparing students to work as professional social workers. As such, the field practicum becomes the culminating experience of each student's education at the School. The Field Education Office works closely with hundreds of community partners in order to secure the best possible placement opportunities for students each academic year.
Eligibility & Requirements
- Applicants who have attended or are attending college
- Completion of a diploma program or at least two full semesters or one year of full-time academic study at an accredited college
- Must submit a Social Justice Statement (See Supplemental Admission Information Form) for the requirements of the Social Justice Statement)
- Transcripts from all post-secondary institutions attended
- Resume – please note that a minimum of two years of related social work experience, paid and/or voluntary is preferred
- Cumulative GPA of B (70%) or above
- Three References. Reference contact information is to be submitted through ‘MyFile’. This will automatically send an electronic form to your referee requesting a reference letter on your behalf. Your referee should complete the request and send it electronically to York Admissions. Applications will not be reviewed until all documents have been received
Deadlines to Apply
- Initial Application Deadline: January 15, 2022 for Fall/Winter 2022-23 Entry
- The Supplementary Application Deadline (to submit all required supporting documentation including references) is February 3, 2022 (Late documentation will not be accepted once a deadline has passed.)
The Supplementary Admission Information Form, which includes the Social Justice Statement is located just above item #3 of the Academic Statement in the Supplemental Application. Please note that the Social Justice Statement and the Supplemental Application is one document, not two, and must be uploaded with your other required documents through your MyFile account.
How to Apply
Create your OUAC Account using the code YFS.
If you are applying to multiple institutions including York, apply through the Ontario University Application Centre (OUAC).
- Once you apply through OUAC or York Admissions, you will receive an acknowledgement letter/email with your 9-digit York Reference Number and gain access to MyFile.
- Here you can access the Reference Form within 48-72 hours, submit your Referee contact information and
- Upload the supplementary Documents in your MyFile Account as attachments.
If you are applying only to York, apply from the York Admissions website.
- The initial application is available in October/November each year and Initial application deadline: January 15, 2022 for Fall/Winter 2022-23 Entry along with the application fee.
- After submitting your initial application, the acknowledgement letter, will outline all documents that are required to be uploaded with your other required documents through your MyFile account.
Accept your offer online through your MyFile by the deadline stated in your offer letter
Once you’ve accepted your offer; make sure to book your course enrolment appointment. For all new undergraduate students at York, participation in enrolment/course selection support means you will:
- Get help picking your courses and planning your academic schedule.
- Find out what transfer credit you’re eligible for.
- Learn how to enrol in courses.
- Find out how and when to pay your tuition fees.