The School of Social Work seeks to prepare students to be critical practitioners who seek social transformation. This stream accepts applicants currently enrolled as a York University student and wanting to change their majors to social work. The Change My Program form must be completed online between January 1, 2024 and March 1, 2024. Transfer credits are assessed during the internal transfer process and based on a review of the applicant’s most recent course enrolment records.
Depending on the number of transfer credits given, these applicants will enter the program at either the second or third-year level and will need to complete the first-year social work course and all their 2nd year major core courses in social work. Along with these core courses students must take their electives and remaining general educations courses that are chosen from a wide selection of University courses. In the third and fourth years, students will focus on 3rd and 4th major or core social work courses, 3000 level or above non-core social work major elective courses, and remaining electives, outside of your BSW degree courses.
In the final year, students will complete a field practicum or placement in a social service setting. The practicum is arranged by the School to provide important hands-on experience in a variety of social/human services community settings. It is intended to support the integration of theory and practice, preparing students to work as professional social workers. As such, the field practicum becomes the culminating experience of each student's education at the School. The Field Education Office works closely with hundreds of community partners in order to secure the best possible placement opportunities for students each academic year.
Eligibility & Requirements
- Current enrolled York University students
- Must submit a Social Justice Statement. See the Supplementary Application Form (PDF) for reference only for the requirements of the Social Justice Statement.
- A Cumulative GPA of B (70%)
Please note: a minimum GPA of 6.0 (B) or above is required for Direct Entry and a minimum GPA of 6.5 (B+) or above is required for Post-Degree Entry.
- Resume – a minimum of two years of related social work experience, paid and/or voluntary, is preferred.
- Three references. Reference contact information is to be submitted on the third page of the online Supplementary Admission Information Form. This will automatically send an electronic form to your referee requesting a reference letter on your behalf. Your referee should complete the request and send it electronically to York Admissions.
Please note that the School of Social Work has very limited positions for transfer students, thus, we encourage you to consider applying once you have completed your degree via the 105 Post 2nd Degree Applicant.
Deadlines to Apply
- Complete the Change My Program form online between January 1, 2024 and March 1, 2024.
- The Internal Supplementary Application Form and documents are available October 2023 and due by March 15, 2024.
- Applications will not be reviewed if documents are missing.
Please note: Documents will not be accepted once the deadline has passed.
How to Apply
Complete the Change My Program form online between January 1 and March 1
Access and review the sample internal Bachelor of Social Work, Supplementary Application Form.
Submit the completed Social Work Supplemental Application Form this includes all documents that are required.
Check the status of your request by checking your Program Change Request.