|Topic:||University Grounds and Physical Facilities|
|Approval Authority:||Board of Governors|
Description: Specifies the principles and people involved in authorizing capital projects; Has associated procedure.
For the purposes of this Policy:
"Academic and Related Projects" shall mean facilities used or intended primarily to be used by the University for teaching, research or administration or which are built to serve the needs of and support the activities of faculty, staff or students.
"Major" facilities or renovations shall mean ones which are budgeted to cost $2,000,000 or more.
"Non-Academic Projects" shall mean facilities intended to be used primarily by parties other than the University or by the University for other than academic or support purposes.
"Property" shall mean real property as defined in the York Act and shall include leased property.
The University shall permit or undertake the construction of major new facilities on its property or permit or undertake major renovations to existing facilities only with the approval of the Board of Governors after due consideration by and the recommendation of:
- the President for all Academic and Related Projects
- jointly by the University’s President and the Chair of the Board of Directors of the York University Development Corporation, for Non-Academic Projects.
In considering requests for such approval the Board of Governors shall consider, among other things, the following:
- demonstrated need for the facility or project
- source and availability for funds
- the University Master Plan
- the York University Secondary Plan and other governmental requirements
- the impact of the project on the aesthetics, amenity, convenience and environment of the campus(s)
- the compatibility of the project with existing programs and facilities
- the relationship of the project to the University's academic needs and strategies.
The Vice-President Finance and Administration shall prepare and promulgate such guidelines, procedures and administrative protocols as may be necessary or desirable from time to time to implement this policy.
|Legislative History:||Approved by UEC: 1994/01/31; Approved by BPC: 1994/02/15; Approved by the Board of Governors: 1995/01/23; Date Effective: 1995/01/23; Amended by the Board Finance, Property and Staff Resources Committee: 1999/09/13; Approved by the Board of Governors: 1999/10/01; Date Effective 1995/01/23; Amended 2006/12/04; 2012/06/25|