Established in honour of former Vice-President Enrollment and Student Services Deborah Hobson, the Deborah Hobson York Citizenship Award is awarded to an individual who emulates Vice-President Hobson’s energetic commitment to York students and boundless enthusiasm for the York community. Nominees for this award embody the York spirit and use their creativity and imagination in support of the student community at York.
The award consists of a $500 purse, generously funded by the Division of the Vice-President, and a framed paper sculpture engraved with the winner’s name. The winner’s name will also be engraved on an annual plaque that will be displayed in the winner’s home department for one year.
Nomination Package Checklist
Please feel free to download this checklist to help you compile the nomination file and ensure that you have met all of the requirements before completing the online nomination form. NOTE: This checklist does not need to be uploaded with the nomination form and is for your reference only.
- Continually demonstrates a high level of service to students, either directly or through support to others with responsibility to student service areas
- Demonstrates the York spirit in terms of imagination, creativity, innovation and redefining the possible in service to York’s student community
- Has been recognized on campus as a strong team leader and facilitator for others
- A full time, permanent staff member at York that has been continuously employed for 2 continuous years as of December 31, 2021
- A non-academic full-time staff member (YUSA, CPM, CUPE 1356, IOUE)
The Chief Nominator is responsible for putting together a nomination file that consists of:
- A nomination letter (maximum of 3 pages)
- The nominee's C.V. or work history at York University
- The job description of the nominee's current position
- A minimum of 3 letters total (1 nomination letter and min. 2 letters of support)
- A maximum of 4 letters (1 nomination letter and max. 3 letters of support)
- Each letter of support must not exceed a total of three (3) pages
- One of the letters of support OR the nomination letter must be from the nominee’s current Manager
- One of the letters of support OR the nomination letter must be from a current or past York University student
- The chief nominator and one supporting nominator OR at least 2 of the supporting nominators must be from outside of the nominee's home department
- The total number of pages of ALL letters combined does not exceed 12 pages
- Using specific examples, describe how the nominee contributes to the University's goals/objectives, to the nominee's office/division and to the broader York Community
- Illustrate with examples how the nominee meets or exceeds each of the criteria for the award
- Quotations from other persons are not permitted and letters can only have one author (multiple authors on a letter are not permitted)
- Do not include any references or confidential documents, such as employee performance ratings or evaluations
- Do not use acronyms in the letter
- Self-nominations are not permitted
Excellence is everywhere at York. We encourage you to consider nominating someone from outside your home department.
To nominate someone for the Deborah Hobson York Citizenship Award, please click here.
The deadline for submission is Friday, April 22, 2022.