This award was established in 1979 by President Emeritus H. Ian Macdonald. The award namesake, Ronald Kent, had a unique personal commitment to the University showcased through years of dedicated service. His sincerity and enthusiasm were infectious, and easily spread across other departments. He was considered a true ambassador for York University. A dedicated member of President Macdonald's staff, Ronald Kent passed away suddenly on campus in the late 1970's.
The award consists of a silver medal designed by Birks and a framed certificate. The winner's name will also be engraved on an annual plaque and displayed in the winner's home department for one year.
Nomination Package Checklist
Please feel free to download this checklist to help you compile the nomination file and to ensure you have met all of the requirements before completing the online nomination form. NOTE: This checklist does not need to be uploaded on the nomination form, and is for your reference only.
- Promotes and strengthens collegiality at York University
- Consistently goes above and beyond what is required of them in their position
- Promotes the values (excellence, progressive, sustainability, inclusivity, diversity, social justice and equity) and goals of York University
- A full time and permanent employee at York who has been employed for five continuous years as of December 31, 2021
- A non-academic staff member (Only members of YUSA or CUPE 1356 are eligible)
Nomination File Requirements
The Chief Nominator is responsible for putting together a nomination file that consists of:
- A nomination letter (maximum of 3 pages)
- The nominee's C.V. or work history at York University
- The job description for the nominee's current position
- A minimum of 3 letters total (1 nomination letter and min. 2 letters of support)
- A maximum of 4 letters (1 nomination letter and max. 3 letters of support)
- Each letter of support must not exceed a total of 3 pages
- One of the letters of support OR the nomination letter must be from the nominee's current Manager
- The chief nominator and one supporting nominator OR at least 2 of the supporting nominators must be from outside of the nominee's home department
- The total number of pages of ALL letters combined does not exceed 12 pages
- Using specific examples, describe how the nominee contributes to the University's goals/objectives, to the nominee's office/division and to the broader York Community
- Illustrate with examples how the nominee meets or exceeds each of the criteria for the award
- Quotations from other persons are not permitted and letters can only have one author (multiple authors on a letter are not permitted)
- Do not include any references or confidential documents, such as employee performance ratings or evaluations
- Do not use acronyms in the letter
- Self-nominations are not permitted
Excellence is everywhere at York. We encourage you to consider nominating someone from outside your home department.
To nominate someone for the Ronald Kent Award, please click here.
The deadline for submission is Friday, April 22, 2022.