The most important voice of York is the one who makes the first contact with a visitor or community member. The quality of responsiveness and the genuine desire to assist in the most difficult or sensitive situations is essential to York’s reputation. Nominees for the President’s Voice of York Award are employed as front-line staff and have regular interaction with the York community. This award was established in 1999 by President Emerita Lorna R. Marsden.
The award consists of a $500 purse and a framed certificate. The winner’s name will also be engraved on an annual plaque that will be displayed in the winner’s home department for one year.
Nomination Package Checklist
Please feel free to download this checklist to help you compile the nomination file and to ensure you have met all of the requirements before completing the online nomination form. NOTE: This checklist does not need to be uploaded on the nomination form and is for your reference only.
- Goes beyond the call of duty in the capacity of their position to provide assistance to the community in a manner that exemplifies York’s values
- Demonstrates enthusiasm and is viewed by others as an ambassador for York
- Possesses exceptional interpersonal skills
- Possesses extensive knowledge of York University
- In a front-line capacity, regularly deals with difficult situations effectively, professionally and with compassion
- Permanent staff members working 25 hours or more in a week at York that have been continuously employed for 2 years as of December 31, 2021
Nomination File Requirements
The Chief Nominator is responsible for putting together a nomination file that consists of:
- A nomination letter (maximum of 3 pages)
- The nominee's C.V. or work history at York University
- The job description for the nominee's current position
- A minimum of 3 letters total (1 nomination letter and min. 2 letters of support)
- A maximum of 4 letters (1 nomination letter and max. 3 letters of support)
- Each letter of support must not exceed a total of 3 pages
- One of the letters of support OR the nomination letter must be from the nominee’s current Manager
- The chief nominator and one supporting nominator OR at least 2 of the supporting nominators must be from outside of the nominee's home department
- The total number of pages of ALL letters combined does not exceed 12 pages
- Using specific examples, describe how the nominee contributes to the University's goals/objectives, to the nominee's office/division and to the broader York Community
- Illustrate with examples how the nominee meets or exceeds the criteria for the award
- Quotations from other persons are not permitted and letters can only have one author (multiple authors on a letter are not permitted)
- Do not include any references or confidential documents, such as employee performance ratings or evaluations
- Do not use acronyms in the letters
- Self-nominations are not permitted
Excellence is everywhere at York. We encourage you to consider nominating someone from outside your home department.
To nominate someone for the President's Voice of York Award, please click here.
The deadline for submission is Friday, April 22, 2022.